No grade

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Peter D Williams

No grade

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:58 pm

If you not played any games in the last 36 months and you lose your ECF grade what happens if you wish to enter a graded chess congress. I presume you are classed as an ungraded chess player? or would your FIDE grade be used to estimate your ECF grade?
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

LawrenceCooper

Re: No grade

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:If you not played any games in the last 36 months and you lose your ECF grade what happens if you wish to enter a graded chess congress. I presume you are classed as an ungraded chess player? or would your FIDE grade be used to estimate your ECF grade?
I think your previous grading history would be looked at and either the old grade used or an estimate formed based on available information, possibly including any FIDE rating if deemed relevant.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:If you not played any games in the last 36 months and you lose your ECF grade what happens if you wish to enter a graded chess congress. I presume you are classed as an ungraded chess player? or would your FIDE grade be used to estimate your ECF grade?
I think your previous grading history would be looked at and either the old grade used or an estimate formed based on available information, possibly including any FIDE rating if deemed relevant.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:29 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Many thanks for quick answer to my question :D
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:05 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
It does vary from event to event. Some League competitions have specific rules, such as using the last published grade, perhaps with a deduction based on the period of time since the player last played.

harrylamb

Post by harrylamb » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:29 pm

I used to estimate it assuming the player had gone off a few points a year. But in the last tournament I organised I used the last published grade. In the past it could be difficult to do that because the information was not available but now its there for everyone to see on the ECF grading site

I found using the last published grade to be much better. Everyone knew where they stood before they entered. No more sterile argument with player A that unrated player B, who they had just lost to, was at least 40 points higher than my estimated rating.

In any case the cynic inside me came to the conclusion that if anyone had lost their published rating then it was not because they had not being playing chess but merely because they had spent the last two years staying up until 3 am every morning playing bullet chess on the internet against the likes of Mark Hebden.
No taxation without representation