A possible record established?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

A possible record established?

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:47 pm

A match has been played in the Surrey Border League in which the entire away team was composed of members of one family! :D

The match was over four boards.

Not only that but the Team Captain (board one) is the father of all of the children in his team!

Not sure if the Hockadays ever made this happen or even the Archer-Locks?

Anyone know?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Peter Shaw

Re: A possible record established?

Post by Peter Shaw » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:22 pm

I think the Redmonds in Bradford can beat that. They won the Clough Trophy in 2010/11:

http://www.chessnuts.org.uk/ny5/league. ... tionid=664

http://www.chessnuts.org.uk/ny5/pstats. ... eamid=2615

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:35 pm

John Upham wrote:A match has been played in the Surrey Border League in which the entire away team was composed of members of one family! :D

The match was over four boards.

Not only that but the Team Captain (board one) is the father of all of the children in his team!

Not sure if the Hockadays ever made this happen or even the Archer-Locks?

Anyone know?
There was a team of Leadbetters in a team lightning tournament in Stoke many years ago.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 pm

I thought John was going to say that a match had been played in Surrey which hadn't ended in a dispute. :-)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:59 pm

A match has been played in Surrey which hasn't ended in a dispute.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:10 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: There was a team of Leadbetters in a team lightning tournament in Stoke many years ago.
Were Margo, Mungo and Jerry on adjacent boards?
Last edited by John Upham on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:27 pm

The Polgar sisters at least once comprised three-quarters of an Olympiad team, with three to play in each match. So I'm sure there must have been some occasions when it was the the three of them who played.

There was also the double round Scheveningen match in London between them and Michael Adams, Stuart Conquest and David Norwood - a famous draw.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:31 pm

The Polgars were beaten by the three Khadilkar sisters representing India in the 1982 olympiad, I think.

They took the three boards between them for all but a handful of their matches.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:02 pm

There was a couple of years a thread titled chess families. I pointed out that on one occasion the five board team fielded by Eastleigh Working Men's club contained five members of the George family. Nobby George who captained the team had his two brothers and three sons to call upon if necessary.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:09 am

The HongKong Olympiad team had 5 Junjuwala (very likely spelled incorrectly) brothers playing for it one year. There was no second reserve.
Did not the Wood family play in the National Club?
That would have been
Barry
The 3 boys Christopher, Frank and Phillip
Peggy
Peter Clarke, husband of Peggy.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:12 am

"I thought John was going to say that a match had been played in Surrey which hadn't ended in a dispute. "

It isn't quite that bad. I have noticed that people are quite tolerant, so tend only to complain if the dispute is fairly horrible.

When Woking played in the Surrey league (they left after an argument with the League!), at one stage they had a lot of people called Williams playing, but not all related. The examples at the top of the thread are impressive.

I was arbiter at a tournament some years ago, when a player excitedly told me I'd fouled up the draw and given him the same opponent as last round.
I groaned inwardly. "OK I'll have a look", I said, as we fought our way through the crowd. "Who are you due to play?"
"Ledger"
"Which one?"
"Huh?"
"Which one?"
"Oh, are there two of them?"
"No there are three."

Luckily, I hadn't fouled up the draw (on that occasion), but I did idly wonder how someone could be good enough to play multiple Ledgers and not previously know of their existence.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:48 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"
I was arbiter at a tournament some years ago, when a player excitedly told me I'd fouled up the draw and given him the same opponent as last round.
The same story is told of the GM for whom the pairings are always wrong and the Cutmore brothers.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:33 pm

John Upham wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote: There was a team of Leadbetters in a team lightning tournament in Stoke many years ago.
Were Margo, Mungo and Jerry on adjacent boards?
No, they certainly were not! Margo of Surbiton rarely went north of Harrods and wouldn't even let Jerry venture north of the Watford Gap. There son Mungo Jerry (after his father) Leadbetter did visit the area with a group of young friends, but not to play chess -

Mungo Jerry & friends came to prominence in 1970 after a performance at the Hollywood Festival at Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire on 23 May, which was their first gig under his name. (Dikipedia)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:21 pm

How would we do in the World Twins Team Championship? Our leading pair would be the Perts, but I believe there are higher rated Ukrainians. But I meant our team of pairs, perhaps 6 players.

John Hickman

Post by John Hickman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote: Luckily, I hadn't fouled up the draw (on that occasion), but I did idly wonder how someone could be good enough to play multiple Ledgers and not previously know of their existence.
I have played two Ledgers, I didn't know there were three :shock: