Leonard Barden appreciation thread

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
stevencarr

Leonard Barden appreciation thread

Post by stevencarr » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:00 am

Isn't Leonard Barden a great columnist?

The answer is 'yes'.

Anybody who dissents from that view is to be regarded with scorn.

We are lucky in Britain to have a national newspaper with the nous to employ Mr. Barden as its chess columnist.

John Collins

Re: Leonard Barden appreciation thread

Post by John Collins » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:52 am

I remember when he became Chess correspondent of the MANCHESTER Guardian, following J. Du Mont. I was a 14 year old paper boy in North London, so this was an unusual paper to be delivering, but I discovered that it carried a chess column on a Thursday, and I badgered my parents to take it on that day only. Eventually the paper that they read (Daily Herald) folded, then the News Chronicle, so we ended up with the Guardian by default, and I have read it ever since. Thank you, Leonard !

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:53 pm

stevencarr wrote:
We are lucky in Britain to have a national newspaper with the nous to employ Mr. Barden as its chess columnist.
Thanks very much for the kind words, but the bold text is factually inaccurate. The weekly Financial Times column (not available online) can be found each Saturday in the Life and Arts section of the Weekend FT. The daily Evening Standard column (only available online) at http://www.standard.co.uk/chess is easiest to access via John Saunders's excellent links page at http://www.saund.co.uk/chesslinks.html. The Standard web page is currently displaying all columns back to 1 July .

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Hmmm, was a bit worried when I saw the thread title :wink:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Colin Patterson

Post by Colin Patterson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:34 am

Pleased to have seen this thread. I have been enjoying Leonard's column at the online Guardian site for a while now, but a bookmark to the daily Evening Standard column will be even more rewarding!