Diagrams within text?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Buswell

Diagrams within text?

Post by Paul Buswell » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:19 pm

I communicate with most of our Club members by e-mail (AOL), and also with the local newspaper by e-mail. The newspaper just does a cut and paste of my text.

I would like to insert the occasional diagram into the e-mails, suitable for copying by the paper.

Any simple way of doing that? I emphasise simple, please, and please treat me as computer semi-illiterate in your reply; I am not interested in trying to understand technicalities and if it takes too much effort then I will not bother, it is not an essential for me in any way.

Thank you

PB

Ian Thompson

Re: Diagrams within text?

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:34 pm

Lots of programs that claim to do it here.

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:21 pm

There's a program called chess diagrams that i use. it's very simple, gives the diagram as a jpeg. Google for it.

Dewi Jones

Post by Dewi Jones » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Actually, realised that wasn't overly helpful. So here you go

http://www.chess.com/download/view/chess-diagrams-v14

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:42 am

Do you have chessbase? If so, you can create a position on the Board and in one of the menus there is a copy diagram button (varies depending on version) and you can paste it into your word doc or email

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks for all suggestions received: problem solved

PB

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:40 am

Paul Buswell wrote:I communicate with most of our Club members by e-mail (AOL), and also with the local newspaper by e-mail. The newspaper just does a cut and paste of my text.

I would like to insert the occasional diagram into the e-mails, suitable for copying by the paper.

Any simple way of doing that? I emphasise simple, please, and please treat me as computer semi-illiterate in your reply; I am not interested in trying to understand technicalities and if it takes too much effort then I will not bother, it is not an essential for me in any way.

Thank you

PB
I am not sure if I understood you properly but I myself have created and translated some books and chapters and chronicles with pictures.

You can create chess diagrams with Arena chess GUI [=Graphical User Interface]

also, I copy& past them inside GIMP [=GNU Image Manipulation Program], an alternative program to Adobe Photoshop CS which is expensive. I produce images with .tiff file extension, which is a lossless format[=doesn't lose bits when saved] and is normally large than JPEG equivalents. JPEG is not lossless for pictures with a wide gamut of colors, I suppose. This is what people in the graphic industry told me.JPG images are not very sleek like TIf images.

Chessbase diagrams are grim

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:46 pm

I use any old chess program, even the free stuff online and just take a screenshot with Alt+PrtScn (next to the F12 button). Then paste into your email or document with Ctrl+V and crop it and resize it as required.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Harrow Captain (Middlesex League)