Your quickest wins and losses

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Peter D Williams

Re: Your quickest wins and losses

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Afternoon all :D

I lost a game in about 10 moves at Coulsdon chess club and was rather surprised to hear my opponent say to me its checkmate as he moved in on my king and he was right it was checkmate which was most annoying as i was going to carry out a raid on his rook.

Be careful over the next few day weather is going to get bad again.Well it time for some Jam enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-H0uIH5HHQ
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 pm

Losing, I seem to manage in 17 moves every now and then. This one is formally shortest but just an occupational hazard really. I haven't recorded quite how long my shortest wins went on as tended to stop when a piece up etc.

This next one though? Ow. I was on a personal run of 13.5/15 in this league. Probably just over confident really - people really *had* been giving me free pawns on a fairly regular basis so....

What's worse is that our team, comfortable favourites to start with, were starting an 8 board match up 2 defaults and were 'inspired' by this game to lose the match :) The team at least recovered to scrape home in the league! Shortly after that, I contrived to do this.

However that game didn't finish there because I didn't actually notice I'd blundered the piece for about ten more moves(!). That was obviously rather disturbing. Took me a while to get any confidence back :)

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:33 am

For more grisly examples, see this earlier thread on much the same subject:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4212
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Dan Lambourne

Post by Dan Lambourne » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:I think I am the forum record holder for fast checkmates - I used to routinely win with this trap when I was younger:
I went one better after being extra evil and forcing touch move on move 2.

The only other short game I can remember that involved a checkmate (I ignore the resignations), happened last year.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Dan Lambourne wrote:I went one better after being extra evil and forcing touch move on move 2.
Unforgiveable!!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Dan Lambourne wrote:The only other short game I can remember[...]
Thankyou for not bringing ours to wider attention. :oops:

Mats Winther

Post by Mats Winther » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:49 am

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 am

I have won games in 11, 13 and 13 again, and 18 moves but not lost before move 20 I think (I'm not good at resigning)

My record draw is 1 move, although I might beat this on Saturday
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:36 am

I'd be slightly careful lest they decide to refuse the score sheet ;)

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:31 pm

I agreed a draw in 6 moves at the 4NCL last season after my tearful family called me just before the game to say one of our children had broken the back of one of our Guinea Pigs (great timing - thanks).

But the piggy lives! After rushing home he just had nerve damage and the paralysis mostly went away after a few weeks of therapy (!).

His name is Tufts. He bit me once.

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:05 pm

Here's my contribution: full analysis/commentary/notes, just because I wrote it up at the time. I did indeed tweet the entire game afterwards :-)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Ray Sayers wrote:I agreed a draw in 6 moves at the 4NCL last season after my tearful family called me just before the game to say one of our children had broken the back of one of our Guinea Pigs (great timing - thanks).

But the piggy lives! After rushing home he just had nerve damage and the paralysis mostly went away after a few weeks of therapy (!).

Ray, you're all heart. However, WC Fields, a great barroom philosopher, categorically stated that - anyone who hates children and animals can't be all bad. So maybe it wouldn't have hurt to hate, just a little, after that bite.

Right, time to roast a baby chicken, or as WC might have put it - a little chickadee.
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:48 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Ray Sayers wrote:I agreed a draw in 6 moves at the 4NCL last season after my tearful family called me just before the game to say one of our children had broken the back of one of our Guinea Pigs (great timing - thanks).

Ray, you're all heart. However, WC Fields, a great barroom philosopher, categorically stated that - anyone who hates children and animals can't be all bad. So maybe it wouldn't have hurt to hate, just a little, after that bite.

Right, time to roast a baby chicken, or as WC might have put it - a little chickadee.

:lol: