Page 1 of 4

chesscafe.com

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 am
by Roger de Coverly
Does anyone know what's happening at this site? It's been publishing regular monthly columns for fifteen years or more.

The regular early February updates have been replaced by a message
Look for a new column when we relaunch in May.

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:22 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
The items at the top of the page (eg the "daily links") are still being regularly updated, however :?:

I agree it would be nice if someone at the site let us know what is going on!

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 am
by George Hollands
My Guess as to what's happening is "They re-launch in May."

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:30 pm
by John Townsend
If you want to follow the Kibitzer (Tim Harding) during the hiatus until May, visit here:

http://www.chessmail.com/timsite/kibitz-hiatus.html

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:09 am
by Arshad Ali
I've noticed that for months all they've been selling is e-books (rather than real books, which they used to). So maybe a change of ownership.

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:23 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
It seems the "relaunch" date has been put back to June now.

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:00 pm
by Paul Douglass
Matt Mackenzie wrote:It seems the "relaunch" date has been put back to June now.
I hope the wait is worth it.

This is one of my favourite chess portals and hope the guest writers are kept as their content was top notch.

Let's hope the substance is still there and not just a glossy overhaul without the content. :?

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:55 pm
by Ian Thompson
Matt Mackenzie wrote:It seems the "relaunch" date has been put back to June now.
Now it's July.

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:32 pm
by Michael Yeo
Ian Thompson wrote:
Matt Mackenzie wrote:It seems the "relaunch" date has been put back to June now.
Now it's July.

They don't specify a year.

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:22 pm
by stevencarr
New articles are now appearing on this page

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:26 am
by Chris Rice
Chesscafe.com has had a makeover http://chesscafe.com/

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:51 am
by Paul Dargan
Subscription model now I see. $50 a year - suspect they'll have a serious reduction in traffic.

Paul

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:06 am
by Niall Doran
I suppose if you look at it as being similar to a magazine subscription, $4 a month doesn't seem too bad, assuming all the archives are accessible for that price. Personally, I can't imagine too many people shelling out for it, but I'd imagine they know what they're doing.

Time will tell.

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:08 am
by John Upham
I doubt if there will be many subscribers whilst clicking on

login or subscribe

behaves as it does.

Re: chesscafe.com

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:17 pm
by Arshad Ali
$50 is too much. I only read (or rather, used to read) the book review section. I've bought books from them in the past, which helps to support the site. For $70 you can get a year's membership at the ICC and roughly the same for a year's premium membership at Playchess.