European Individual Seniors (50+) Championship

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: European Individual Seniors (50+) Championship

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Arkell's golden result is a wake-up call to the English Chess Federation to rethink its international priorities and give proper backing to senior chess. Currently the ECF seriously backs only adult players in the men's Olympiad and European teams where England in the past decade have often finished as an underachieving also-ran.
Exactly - hopefully someone will bring this up at next month's ECF Finance Meeting
Any postings on here represent my personal views

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Great article by Leonard Barden.

Also it was very sporting of Keith to allow a local Portuguese player to win the blitz; always good for the host to get some reward.

Colin Patterson

Post by Colin Patterson » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:59 am

Yes, another great article by Leonard. Set me thinking about other age-related competitions where we have achieved pioneering wins; Conquest first World U16 champion; Kumaran first champion of the World U12; Mestel first World Cadets champ (U18). Not to mention Elaine Saunders and that early version of the World Girls.

It does seem we make a habit of leading the way. All we need now is the secret of repeating the success!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:3 mins (+ 2 seconds increment) goes in no time when you're exhausted! Played a strong field and beat the 2 highest rated GMs, Sturua and Glek in nice games, but blew 2nd = by one bad move in a won position v Kalegin in the last round. I don't know if the games are up, but any normal move instead of the horrible ...f6 was surely winning. O well.
See below for how Keith avoided Russian territory with 8... d4N!?
28... f6 may not be as bad as Keith thought after the game - it could be that until 31... Kh7 he was still better.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:00 pm

Talking of playing when exhausted it does seem rather cruel that subsequent to these heroic efforts Keith had to come straight back and play in the 4NCL this Sunday!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:16 pm

How'd he do-dee?
Martin, no need to answer that on my account - unless you have more news to impart - I'll go and have a look for myself.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:14 pm

I had a decent conversation with Phil Ehr at 4NCL this weekend about a variety of ECF- related issues, and Keith's result has definitely inspired more movement with regards funding for senior chess. I'm hopeful that will be reflected in the budgets at the Finance Council meeting. I also suggested the ECF should do something to recognise Keith's result (beyond the mention on the website). Wasn't able to think of anything specific at the time, but its not often that England has a European Chess Champion :)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:19 am

Did we ever get the story behind the mass forfeits of top players in the second round of the >65?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.