Chess Numbers

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
ThomasThorpe

Re: Chess Numbers

Post by ThomasThorpe » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:30 pm

15 - the average number of moves it takes Bogdan Lalic to offer a draw

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:19 pm

John Foley wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:
John Foley wrote: 65?
Under the new international age limits for Senior Chess, it's the minimum age for the older category.
The European Seniors team competition in Croatia has a minimum age of 50. How old is a senior nowadays?
We've drifted off topic, which of course doesn't normally happen with threads on this Forum.

However, I'm happy to answer your query.

There are now two age categories in senior chess: minimum age 50 and minimum age 65. In the European Senior Team Championship, a four player team must contain one 65 and over player and a five person team must contain two, so that there will always be at least one such player in each four board match.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:17 pm

3 - number of squares the QR moves when you castle that side, or number of possible moves for a king from one of the corner squares. Or number of states an old-style analogue chess clock can be in (White's clock going, Black's, or neither).
4 - number of moves a knight has from the edge of the board (except for corner squares).
5 - number of moves a king has from the edge of the board (ditto).
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:48 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Rob Thompson wrote:Aren't there 21 moves available at the start of a game (including resigns)?
If resigns is a move, then so should be 'draw agreed' and maybe 'forfeited', so, whatever the number is, it's not 21.
Except that it isn't correct to offer a draw before your move, and thus draw agreed is invalid in this context. I take your point about forfeits though.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:15 pm

The Guardian on 26th Feb had: "Chess moves: how many are there?"
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... s-how-many

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Re the two classes of Seniors: perhaps they should be called Junior Seniors and Senior Seniors?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:00 am

"Re the two classes of Seniors: perhaps they should be called Junior Seniors and Senior Seniors?"

I think that happened at the Beacon(?) tournament in Exmouth(?). It started as an over 60 event then they introduced an over 50 event and called it the "junior" tournament. Steve Boniface was arbiter and I detect his hand in the nomenclature.

Guernsey Tournament uses something like veterans for over 60 and Senior veterans for over 70...

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:45 am

3 - number of squares the QR moves when you castle that side, or number of possible moves for a king from one of the corner squares. Or number of states an old-style analogue chess clock can be in (White's clock going, Black's, or neither).
I'm sure many seniors can recall occasions when both White and Black's clock were going.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:47 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"Re the two classes of Seniors: perhaps they should be called Junior Seniors and Senior Seniors?"

I think that happened at the Beacon(?) tournament in Exmouth(?). It started as an over 60 event then they introduced an over 50 event and called it the "junior" tournament. Steve Boniface was arbiter and I detect his hand in the nomenclature.

Guernsey Tournament uses something like veterans for over 60 and Senior veterans for over 70...
In my endless pursuit of perpetual youth, when I reached 60, last year I thought - at last, I'm a junior again!
Now I find I'm a chess vet and junior seniors are up to 11 years younger than me.
Eventually juniors will graduate to senior juniors at 19 and junior seniors at 22 years of age.

Regarding the Guardian article by Stephen Moss (and the references to Paul Hoffman's book therein) that is kindly linked to by Neill Cooper, above, I have seen things writ somewhat differently -

"After THREE (not four - JM) moves each more than 9,000,000 positions are possible."

"The number of different games of 40 moves has been estimated at 25 x 10^115, which is much greater than the number of ELECTRONS (not atoms - JM) in the (known - JM) universe - estimated at 10^79."

Source: Guiness Chess, the Records 1986 by Ken Whyld

I
Last edited by John McKenna on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

Tristan Clayton

Post by Tristan Clayton » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:
I'm sure many seniors can recall occasions when both White and Black's clock were going.
Either or both clocks going backwards would be three more states. I used to like those sorts of clocks; much easier to handle time trouble.

And don't forget the most common state of an analogue clock: broken.
Follow me on Twitter @BackRankTristan for a patzer's-eye view of the amateur chess world: 140-character book reviews, ill-informed opinion, cartoon updates from the Back Rank, and other assorted chess rubbish.

http://www.twitter.com/backranktristan

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:03 pm

"And don't forget the most common state of an analogue clock: broken."

Yeah, but did they break themselves in a big fight in the equipment cupboard late at night?
Oh well, one day, in the not too distant future, they will repair themselves and shout & scream if bashed.

Another couple of chess nos.

Fritz Samisch "a notorious time trouble addict... lost all 15 games at Büsum, 1969... also all of his 13 games at Lidköping, 1969".
To find a for(u)m that accommodates the mess, that is the task of the artist now. (Samuel Beckett)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:38 am

14 the number of squares a rook can reach from any position, if the way is not blocked.
That is very useful when teaching children.
27 the maximum number of squares a queen can reach in one move.
13 the maximum number of squares a bishop can reach in one move.
8 the maximum number of squares a king or knight can reach in one move.
2 the minimum actual number of moves for a game to result in checkmate.
0 the maximum time a player is allowed to be late in most official FIDE events.
47 the World Record for number of games played blindfold simultaneously.
I have forgotten the World Record for number of games played simultaneously.
37 the number of games played in the bullet chess match Arkell v Lane.
400 the number of different positions possible after one move by each player.
50 the number of moves without a pawn move or capture to claim a draw.
75 from 1 July 2014, the number of moves without a pawn move or capture where the game becomes a draw , no claim being necessary.
5 from 1 July 2014, the number of the same positions with the same player to move where the game becomes a draw , no claim being necessary. The positions have to appear one after another on alternate moves.
32 the number of pieces from one chess set that can be stacked vertically on one square.
40 the number of moves required for the first time control in FIDE Rated events.