Very late Canditates Master certificate from ECF

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Peter D Williams

Very late Canditates Master certificate from ECF

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:16 pm

Today a certificate for canditates master for Peter arrived from the ECF but it is very later as he got the title in 2012.A note was with it unsigned saying "this has recently come to light in the office and we thought you would like to receive them despite the passage of time"

Sizzling sausage pasta tonight :D
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Angus French

Re: Very late Canditates Master certificate from ECF

Post by Angus French » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:10 pm

Some credit, then, to the ECF Office who owned up to what had happened and took action.

I assume Peter jnr would have wished to receive the certificate rather than not.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm

There's still a faint glimmer of hope for my IM medal and certificate then... ;) :roll:

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:00 pm

I received a letter asking if I wanted to pay for the FM title about two years after I'd become an IM :)

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Simon Ansell wrote:I received a letter asking if I wanted to pay for the FM title about two years after I'd become an IM :)
I'm in vague danger of missing the boat for that one. Might have to settle for CM.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Simon Ansell wrote:I received a letter asking if I wanted to pay for the FM title about two years after I'd become an IM :)
I'm in vague danger of missing the boat for that one. Might have to settle for CM.
It's at least better than being invisible.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:59 pm

My IA certificate and badge from 2012 was discovered - presumably at the same time - and will be passed on to me at Finance Council.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:07 pm

I was invited to apply for the I/O title after Liverpool 2006-2008.

WTF

(an arbiter pieman claimed the norms instead :roll: )

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 am

Peter D Williams wrote:Today a certificate for canditates master for Peter arrived from the ECF but it is very later as he got the title in 2012.A note was with it unsigned saying "this has recently come to light in the office and we thought you would like to receive them despite the passage of time"

Sizzling sausage pasta tonight :D
Does the ECF pay for these titles, or did you?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:53 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Does the ECF pay for these titles, or did you?
No the ECF does not pay for these titles we paid for it in full.I will also add that we have never received any financial help from the ECF and have funded all chess events for Peter ourself.I have heard gossip when i used to take Peter to chess events that some juniors have been given financial help by the ECF but i have no idea if it is true.

I never knew you got a certificate for this title. I wonder why it took so long to send it? To me its straight forward players get title FIDE send it to ECF office who then send it on.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 pm

I believe the FIDE office sends these out effeciently. Bermuda recently claimed a few old CM/FM titles to beat the cutoff for pre-2005 cases ( which I do not understand at all, by the way ) and we got our certificates and badges as quickly as international post allowed.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:50 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Bermuda recently claimed a few old CM/FM titles to beat the cutoff for pre-2005 cases ( which I do not understand at all, by the way )
I had assumed it was down to the phasing in of detailed game by game rating changes in the 2005-2008 period. As you can claim CM, FM and the rating requirements of IM and GM just by reaching the necessary rating during a tournament, a historic restriction caps the amount of back tracking that might be needed into historic submissions.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:37 pm

Richard Bates wrote:There's still a faint glimmer of hope for my IM medal and certificate then... ;) :roll:
What reason has been given by the ECF as to why you have not had your IM medal and certificate? As you are an IM FIDE should have had no problem issuing your certificate.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: Bermuda recently claimed a few old CM/FM titles to beat the cutoff for pre-2005 cases ( which I do not understand at all, by the way )
I had assumed it was down to the phasing in of detailed game by game rating changes in the 2005-2008 period. As you can claim CM, FM and the rating requirements of IM and GM just by reaching the necessary rating during a tournament, a historic restriction caps the amount of back tracking that might be needed into historic submissions.
Perhaps, but checking old ratings and Olympiad results ( unlike old norms ) is a trivial task which we are happy to do. I think it was just control for the sake of control. Maybe some of that can be rolled back in Tromso, at the risk of making us look a little foolish. Unless Kasparov Leong wins, of course.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:55 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Perhaps, but checking old ratings and Olympiad results ( unlike old norms ) is a trivial task which we are happy to do.
Not that trivial surely. If you had to go back to an old Hastings or Lloyds Bank Masters of the 1980s or 1990s to establish whether someone got past 2200/ 2300 or the female equivalents for one game, you would have to unearth the original cross-table and reverse engineer the rating performance. Still FM and CM titles aren't taken that seriously in England, many players choosing not to ask for them.