Gradings to be published, on the sidebar?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MSoszynski

Re: Gradings to be published, on the sidebar?

Post by MSoszynski » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:Why stop at grades, how about qualifications, sexual persuasion and blood group.
Quite. Especially since grades measure so little.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Well they do at least measure something quite specific, and actually fairly accurately with it, which is much more than many things do :)

Almost entirely unconnected to whether posts are worth reading of course.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:40 pm

MSoszynski wrote:
Geoff Chandler wrote:Why stop at grades, how about qualifications, sexual persuasion and blood group.
Quite. Especially since grades measure so little.
That's way too much and far too personal.

A kind of Geneva Convention should apply here, under it only the following pieces of info are required -

Name: "Your name" (e.g. "Mongo", but important that you see this first -)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoM-ZC7uNnc

(Blazing Saddles, 1974)

Rank (present!/past?!/future!?): World Champion, WC Challenger, WC Candidate, GM/IM/FM/WGM/WIM/CM/National Champion or Master/WFM, other plus brief comment (e.g. "Mongo only pawn in the game of life.")

Serial nos. - FIDE &/ National (for 'other' ranks soon to be implanted in the shoulder on a chip, lest we forget)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:56 am

"Is this a quibble?"

No - a fact. People need to be reminded of Richard Clarke's warning when he designed the grading system.

I presume Carl could produce space for a profile as I believe occurs in some other forms of media, if he felt like it. I wouldn't blame him for refusing to do so! Isn't it better to just read what people say? I have heard GMs talk complete rubbish and players graded 30 say something incredibly clever (and it was about chess).

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:14 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"Is this a quibble?"

No - a fact. People need to be reminded of Richard Clarke's warning when he designed the grading system.

I presume Carl could produce space for a profile as I believe occurs in some other forms of media, if he felt like it. I wouldn't blame him for refusing to do so! Isn't it better to just read what people say? I have heard GMs talk complete rubbish and players graded 30 say something incredibly clever (and it was about chess).
Kevin, I misunderstood the point of your previous post. Actually, I agree with you entirely.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:20 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I presume Carl could produce space for a profile as I believe occurs in some other forms of media, if he felt like it.
I have no plans to change this software beyond the default sorry as I already have sufficient work to do :(
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Hickman

Post by John Hickman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Could you put an ECF Forum Grading in the sidebar which would go up or down based on the number of arguments you win or lose :?:

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:26 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:I presume Carl could produce space for a profile as I believe occurs in some other forms of media, if he felt like it.
I have no plans to change this software beyond the default sorry as I already have sufficient work to do :(
What exactly are you sad about?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:05 pm

MSoszynski wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
What exactly are you sad about?
Apart from the modern Puritan work ethic (for details on how to succeed see link below -)

http://www.anxietyculture.com/puritan.htm

being in charge of this forum is an added burden but one that may have some compensation, hopefully.

Profiles can be created by members in the User Control Panel, however, they can only be viewed by other members, I believe.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:46 am

Colin S Crouch wrote:We all get used to the chess grading system, and it helps sort out team orders, so why not on the forum? Discussions?
Precisely because it is a forum, not a tournament hall.