Chess in Schools and Communities: Training Courses

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matthew Lunn

Chess in Schools and Communities: Training Courses

Post by Matthew Lunn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:06 pm

Chess in Schools and Communities aim to expand from 300 to 450 schools by September 2015. Consequently, we will be hosting a great many training courses over the next 18 months in order to recruit new CSC tutors.

We can confirm that courses will take place in Sheffield (Tuesday 29th April 2014), Liverpool (30th April 2014) and Newham (Monday 19th May 2014). For information on these courses, or to sign up, please see: http://www.chessinschools.co.uk/training_courses.htm

If you have any questions, then please don't hesitate to e-mail me at [email protected].

Ihor Lewyk

Re: Chess in Schools and Communities: Training Courses

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:44 pm

I think this is terrific and am pleased to see a course running in Sheffield.

Sometimes I think it's a shame I already have a 9-5 job.

I'll make sure we advertise it on the Yorkshire website.

Matthew Lunn

Post by Matthew Lunn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:42 pm

That's extremely kind of you, Ihor!

If the opportunity arises for you to work with CSC, either as a paid tutor or a volunteer at a lunch time/after school club, please don't hesitate to contact us.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:40 pm

Sounds interesting. I might see if I can make the Newham one.

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:21 pm

There is a great article about school children flocking to play chess and the CSC programme in today's Sunday Times, News Review, Education page. Good photo of Jason Kouchak.

Matthew Lunn

Post by Matthew Lunn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:26 am

Chess in Schools and Communities are hosting a tutor training course at Stratford Library (E15 1EL) on Thursday 2nd October, 10.30 - 16.30. Lunch will be provided.

To register, please see: http://www.chessinschools.co.uk/booking ... _30914.htm

We anticipate that there will be courses in Leeds and Birmingham in late October and, as always, we will be hosting courses at the London Chess Classic. These will take place on Wednesday 10th, Thursday 11th and Friday 12th December.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:48 am

I see that part of your introductory training course for teachers includes the section:

'Overview of junior chess in the UK'

When you talk about this, what do you say?

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Andrew

The discussion on junior chess relates to the interests of the particular schools attending. We try to describe some of the opportunities open to the school and its pupils. CSC provides one year of tuition at the beginners level to whole classes in primary schools and our advice must be seen in this context. Many teachers are curious to know how to take the enthusiasm of the children further, both within the CSC year and afterwards.

The main additional chess activity undertaken by many schools is the UK Chess Challenge whereby tens of thousands of children enter a national competition which has become a tradition. CSC organises events for local CSC schools in several cities and boroughs. CSC also encourages participation in the online Yes2Chess international competition of which it is a founder.

We mention the role of the English Primary Schools Chess Association (EPSCA), the junior sections of the county chess associations and our excellent junior chess clubs. Fortunately many of our courses are attended by officials from these organisations and hence they are able to give local advice.

A common question nowadays relates to recommended websites for juniors at school. We would welcome suggestions which we could pass on to teachers.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:08 pm

John

Thank you for your detailed answer.