Distractive spectators/penalties

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
kishanpattni

Distractive spectators/penalties

Post by kishanpattni » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:33 am

Most chess players in the competitive circuit are familiar with the strict rules. Violation of certain rules can result in losing the game. I was just wondering if there are rules or penalties for spectators and if there are if the rules are exercised as often as they should be?

On a couple of occasions over the last year I was distracted by the a spectator using their phone. I believe on both occasions the spectators in question were players who had finished their game. Of course if they were in the middle of their game they would risk losing their game instantly as use of phones is prohibited during play but perhaps if there was a rule of losing points already gained or suspension, maybe this would reduce the chances of the problem occurring? Phones or background conversations are the obvious causes of distraction and of course not all spectators are players.
Last edited by kishanpattni on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niall Doran

Re: Distractive spectators/penalties

Post by Niall Doran » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 am

Distracted in what way? Was the person 'merely' sending a text message or checking the time, or were they making a call?

While the onus is on the organisers/arbiter to ensure correct playing conditions, if you have a problem with spectators and the dirty look doesn't work (sometimes people don't realise they're causing a distraction until you point it out to them), you need to go and find the arbiter, who should sort it out.

If you say nothing, the situation probably won't change.

kishanpattni

Post by kishanpattni » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 pm

In one case there was a person tapping away to send a text. But the nature of intent is not so relevant in my opinion.

Although calling the arbiter or organiser over in such a situation would be logical, the perfect scenario would be not needing to say anything.

Fortunately in some events spectating is banned completely and only players are allowed in playing areas but this is not possible everywhere (I think).
Last edited by kishanpattni on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:15 pm

The rules of some events do specify that if a spectator's mobile phone goes off they will be asked to leave the playing area. The official laws of chess tie into that by saying that players whose games have finished are considered to be spectators. It's hard to impose any harsher policy but organisers may refuse the entry of players who are repeatedly inconsiderate. To be fair most distractive behaviour is inadvertant rather than deliberate - one of the few common features of chess matches up and down the country is that there will be two players playing a complex endgame in time trouble and shushing other players enjoying a friendly post mortem.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Most of the distracting behaviour I come across seems to be because people are not aware of their surroundings. Often it is players who have finished and breathe a sigh of relief, forgetting that other games are in progress. We have post-mortems on nearby boards, match captains putting the pieces away on adjadent boards where the games are finished - trying to be quiet in the process but not succeeding. The noise invariably seems to get worse towards the end of the session. A pet hate of mine is when someone sits on the chair next to me to watch my game (why they would want to is a mystery).
I am not sure draconian rules are needed, although they no doubt exist in the more serious events where arbiters are present. In the case of Kishan's original question, that seems to be more in the context of a 'serious' event. I agree that someone sitting in the audience at a top event sending a text message is poor form, but in an evening league in a room above the pub worse things happen. Good manners should usually suffice.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:47 pm

There used to be a particularly ignorant player in the Leeds league (thankfully he seems to have dropped off the scene) who would do various irritating things once his game had finished.

To name a couple:

During a Yorkshire League match, bursting into the Chess room while all the games are in progress (he had been playing in the other room) and saying to his mate, who had also finished and was watching "How did you get on??!! I stuffed mine, he tried that Maróczy Bind Bo**ocks on me, but I saw that off!!" In a voice like Brian Blessed and then proceeding to sit down and analyse it, just as loud :lol:

On another occasion he was watching my game (I was the last to finish) he sat down next to me (bad enough) and began to copy the ending moves down onto a beer mat - it got worse though, he didn't seem to have a pen, so saw nothing wrong with nicking mine off the table, while I was thinking about my move, to do it! :shock:

I must confess though, in club matches especially I am guilty of firing off the odd text to the missus (like no, I'm not getting a pint, I'm just watching the games :lol:) once my game is over - but the phone is on silent, its a touch screen and I do it in a corner.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Is it allowed to find this a bit funny? (Which club is it, does anyone know?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SvdkxN52Y

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Priceless!

(nice find)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:45 pm

I have had a deaf player perform a gigantic burp as he walked past my game. Fortunately, my opponent found it funnier than I did and took longer to recompose himself but one of the staff close by burst out laughing, which upset many other players.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:Most of the distracting behaviour I come across seems to be because people are not aware of their surroundings. Often it is players who have finished and breathe a sigh of relief, forgetting that other games are in progress. We have post-mortems on nearby boards, match captains putting the pieces away on adjadent boards where the games are finished - trying to be quiet in the process but not succeeding. The noise invariably seems to get worse towards the end of the session. A pet hate of mine is when someone sits on the chair next to me to watch my game (why they would want to is a mystery).
I am not sure draconian rules are needed, although they no doubt exist in the more serious events where arbiters are present. In the case of Kishan's original question, that seems to be more in the context of a 'serious' event. I agree that someone sitting in the audience at a top event sending a text message is poor form, but in an evening league in a room above the pub worse things happen. Good manners should usually suffice.
Hi Graham, did you play for Beds against Norfolk between 92-94 when they played at the King Edward VIII hall before moving to Turner Hall? It was late on in the season and the windows were all open, so then an open top bus with brass band and live dj stopped outside the hall and began reporting on the radio our match. Kevin Williamson might remember it, he seemed more amused than most. That was pretty distracting, the noise was deafening.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:29 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Is it allowed to find this a bit funny? (Which club is it, does anyone know?)

I've seen an elderly newcomer do exactly the same thing (smaller phone, not as loud, not a professional comedian), explaining to his wife that he was at the chess club. Life imitating art.

kishanpattni

Post by kishanpattni » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:24 pm

I have to admit I found the YouTube video funny!

But getting back to the point, needless distractions cost game points. Distractions outside the playing area may not be preventable. If player A's phone was to go off then player A would rightly be penalised as this would cause a distraction. If player B has completed their game (now a spectator) and their phone goes off, they too cause the same form of distraction but the punishment for them is only to be asked to leave the playing area? In the interest of better playing conditions I do feel more can be done to prevent disturbing players. The form of distraction doesn't need to be using a phone.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:The rules of some events do specify that if a spectator's mobile phone goes off they will be asked to leave the playing area. The official laws of chess tie into that by saying that players whose games have finished are considered to be spectators.
It's slightly stricter than that. If a mobile phone is found to be switched on, regardless of whether or not it makes a sound, then the player is asked to leave the playing area, and in some cases banned from it. Of course, you usually find out whether or not it is switched on by it making a sound.

In Kish's case, clearly the phone is switched on because a text is being sent, so the arbiter should kick the spectator out of the playing area.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:24 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Is it allowed to find this a bit funny? (Which club is it, does anyone know?)

A glance at his page shows that he has a collection of videos of himself pulling the same stunt in various locations (library, church). The fact that one of them is in Amish Country suggests that he's American and obviously he's got an accomplice filming. It may well have been done with the connivance of the chess players.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:02 am

It's Dom jolly - he had a comedy show in the 90s called trigger happy TV.
I am surprised I am the first person who reorganises him, I thought it was a more well known show them that.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.