Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to train

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Paolo Casaschi
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:46 am

Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to train

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Mon May 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Interview of Aronian:
https://chess24.com/en/read/news/aronia ... top-player

I'm rather surprised by this statement (after a question about considering training with Kasparov): "now I’m no longer at an age when I need to train"

Niall Doran
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to trai

Post by Niall Doran » Wed May 14, 2014 8:51 am

Apparently not the only GM who doesn't train any more. If I recall correctly, Keith Arkell mentions (possibly in his interviews on the Streatham and Brixton chess blog) that he doesn't train, and the last time he did was about 15 years ago when he wanted to push himself to see how far he could go chesswise.

I also seem to recollect that Simon Williams mentioned that ideally he'd like to train an hour a day, but didn't, with it sounding much like you or I saying that we really should exercise more i.e. we'll probably never do it.

I've always been surprised at these remarks, as I would have imagined that whereas a 1700-rated player can probably maintain his/her rating without any real work, as is my case, at the upper echelons (beyond 2300 say) anyone not working on their game would be at a disadvantage compared to someone who does.

I would imagine though that these players don't count preparation for specific opponents as 'working on their game', which would probably consist of working on tactics, middlegame and endgame positions.

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to trai

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed May 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Niall Doran wrote:I've always been surprised at these remarks, as I would have imagined that whereas a 1700-rated player can probably maintain his/her rating without any real work, as is my case, at the upper echelons (beyond 2300 say) anyone not working on their game would be at a disadvantage compared to someone who does.
I don't know how it works at the 2600+ level but I think a 2300 or 2400 player can maintain his rating provides he does the bare minimum to keep his opening repertoire in good repair -- i.e., patch up opening problems as they become apparent in GM praxis.

Keith Arkell
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to trai

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed May 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Niall Doran wrote:Apparently not the only GM who doesn't train any more. If I recall correctly, Keith Arkell mentions (possibly in his interviews on the Streatham and Brixton chess blog) that he doesn't train, and the last time he did was about 15 years ago when he wanted to push himself to see how far he could go chesswise
Correct Niall, I don't 'train' as such. I just play chess and try to learn from my mistakes. I use ICC to sharpen up my board sight. I have issues away from the board sometimes, which affects my results, but so does everybody.

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 2115
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to trai

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed May 14, 2014 8:30 pm

What's to train?

One you have mastered how to set the bits up you are trained.

Openings:
If you play a move in an opening and it turns out badly - don't do it again.

Middle Game:
Point things at their King and mate them.

Endgames:
Learn how to mate with a King & Rook other than that don't get involved.

stevencarr

Re: Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to trai

Post by stevencarr » Thu May 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Niall Doran wrote:If I recall correctly, Keith Arkell mentions (possibly in his interviews on the Streatham and Brixton chess blog) that he doesn't train, and the last time he did was about 15 years ago when he wanted to push himself to see how far he could go chesswise.

Keith won the European Senior Championship.

A fantastic achievement.

But, and you can shoot me down in flames if you like, I can't help but feel that if Grandmaster Arkell had trained harder, he could have won this title 10 years ago.....

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5200
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to trai

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu May 15, 2014 9:53 pm

stevencarr wrote:
Niall Doran wrote:If I recall correctly, Keith Arkell mentions (possibly in his interviews on the Streatham and Brixton chess blog) that he doesn't train, and the last time he did was about 15 years ago when he wanted to push himself to see how far he could go chesswise.

Keith won the European Senior Championship.

A fantastic achievement.

But, and you can shoot me down in flames if you like, I can't help but feel that if Grandmaster Arkell had trained harder, he could have won this title 10 years ago.....
Becoming European Senior Champion at the age of 43 would indeed be an achievement :lol:

User avatar
Joey Stewart
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: All Of Them
Contact:

Re: Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to trai

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri May 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Image
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

John Cox
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Aronian: now I’m no longer at an age when I need to trai

Post by John Cox » Tue May 20, 2014 1:09 pm

I don't think Aronian means he doesn't need to work on his game. He means that he doesn't need to work with a trainer. You can see that from his other interview which is linked to.

Post Reply