Chess and Road Cycling

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Kingston

Re: Chess and Road Cycling

Post by Ian Kingston » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:55 am

Neil Graham wrote:I must have searched for the European Cyclists' Federation before then - it outstripped the E-Cigarette Forum, East Coast Fittings and the European Climate Foundation!
You have encountered the problem of the global TLA (three-letter abbreviation) shortage. The Department of Redundancy Department is looking into it, but has so far failed to find any solution other than the ETLA (extended three-letter abbreviation). This is also known as a four-letter abbreviation (FLA), but purists argue that 'FLA' is a TLA and should not therefore be applied to an ETLA.

The matter has beem referred to the NCCU, which is expected to report its findings in 2054.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:
Neil Graham wrote:I must have searched for the European Cyclists' Federation before then - it outstripped the E-Cigarette Forum, East Coast Fittings and the European Climate Foundation!
You have encountered the problem of the global TLA (three-letter abbreviation) shortage. The Department of Redundancy Department is looking into it, but has so far failed to find any solution other than the ETLA (extended three-letter abbreviation). This is also known as a four-letter abbreviation (FLA), but purists argue that 'FLA' is a TLA and should not therefore be applied to an ETLA.

The matter has beem referred to the NCCU, which is expected to report its findings in 2054.
Anyone researching this subject is likely to experience TLC (Three Letter Confusion).

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:42 pm

John Upham wrote:
Reg Clucas wrote: I take great pleasure in burning them off on my rusty old ex-commuting bike with its full size mudguards, dressed in t-shirt and old track suit bottoms.
Here is a challenge for you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazin ... r-28056499
Lions are no problem, I've graduated onto cheetahs now!

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:05 pm

On the geek level I'd say they were the same but way below
the geeks who correct spelling and grammar mistakes in forums. :wink:

Living right between the Edinburgh University and the Edinburgh Art College
my foot bound neighbours and I have developed a totally hatred for cyclists.

A few months back I saw a cyclist catch a beautiful smack in the gob
for trying to zig-zag through a crowd on a pavement. Up went a cheer!

Chess players do not play chess on pavements.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:11 am

Looks like cycling and chess are going to be linked by the FIDE Constitutional Committee who will consider in the General Assembly in Tromso that as cyclists are licensed then chess players should be too!

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... nex_20.pdf

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Cyclists always look geeky - those terrible outfits. The perspiring red faces - but then the temptation to nudge them with the bonnet of the jaguar is almost irresistable :evil:
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:Cyclists always look geeky - those terrible outfits. The perspiring red faces - but then the temptation to nudge them with the bonnet of the jaguar is almost irresistable :evil:
The temptation to report cycling-nudging Jaguar drivers to the police for attempted murder is almost irresistible too.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Dave Ewart wrote:
Louise Sinclair wrote:Cyclists always look geeky - those terrible outfits. The perspiring red faces - but then the temptation to nudge them with the bonnet of the jaguar is almost irresistable :evil:
The temptation to report cycling-nudging Jaguar drivers to the police for attempted murder is almost irresistible too.
Quite understandable Dave
I do not view cyclists too kindly - the uncivil type that is.
One cyclist gloated as he deliberately scratched side of jaguar as he pedalled through traffic jam where we were harmlessly idling.
Another cyclist almost knocked me from my feet as he cycled behind us on the pavement - jingling his bell in a crazy manner.
A third offender did not bother to stop at pedestrian crossing and was fortunate husband did not catch him as we had just stepped into road.
These were the ones I wanted as mascots for bonnet.

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:
Dave Ewart wrote:
Quite understandable Dave
I do not view cyclists too kindly - the uncivil type that is.
One cyclist gloated as he deliberately scratched side of jaguar as he pedalled through traffic jam where we were harmlessly idling.
Another cyclist almost knocked me from my feet as he cycled behind us on the pavement - jingling his bell in a crazy manner.
A third offender did not bother to stop at pedestrian crossing and was fortunate husband did not catch him as we had just stepped into road.
These were the ones I wanted as mascots for bonnet.
Well in that case, please don't make a blanket remark suggesting that your comment applies to all cyclists. There are bad drivers, there are bad cyclists, there are bad people and there are bad pedestrians.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:19 pm

When I meet the civil ones I shall exclude them from my comments.

Dave Ewart

Post by Dave Ewart » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:When I meet the civil ones I shall exclude them from my comments.
Which very much sounds like your position is "By default, all cyclists are uncivil", which is false. Really, this whole "all cyclists are horrible, they all do ... <whatever>" is getting to be a pretty tiresome position to take.

Why is it when a driver is at fault, a driver is individually responsible, but when a cyclist is at fault, as per your view it seems, all cyclists collectively are at fault?

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:30 pm

This really is an ill judged childish comment.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:36 am

And not the only one. And "childish" is kind.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:33 am

Just back from my regular Sunday morning bike ride -though I am not a Mamil.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:58 am

An interesting thought. When attending a chess tournament/congress, I notice cars, vans, and the odd motorcycle outside the venue. Cannot recall anyone taking a bicycle to a chess tournament. Of course, distance may be a problem. Cyclists must be treated with respect, it is healthy exercise, and does not damage the environment.
There must be chess playing cyclists on this Forum; can we have their views please ?