President of FIDE

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Re: President of FIDE

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:I think Ilyumzhinov was closer to 2100. There's some talk of that in Hoffman's King's Gambit, which paints an intriguing picture of the current FIDE president. It should be remembered that Campomanes was a strong IM in his day and still managed to play a bit after his inauguration as president. An rx-world champion would make a better president, at least they would have the time to do the job properly and understand the game and needs of the players more acutely.
Campomanes may well have been IM strength at his peak, but did he ever gain the official title?
I always thought so but then perhaps not!

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Reg Clucas wrote:Would any world champion have been worse than the current President?
Yes. For example, as much as you think you dislike KI, RJF would have been worse.
Is this a gambit?

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:51 pm

PeterTurland wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Reg Clucas wrote:Would any world champion have been worse than the current President?
Yes. For example, as much as you think you dislike KI, RJF would have been worse.
Is this a gambit?
Considering the reference to world champions I assumed everyone would immediately understand RJF = Robert James Fischer, while KI as usual stands for Kirsan I...something.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:57 pm

Oh so sorry.

My excuse is, I'm just a bumbling biped.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:38 am

The Ukrainian chess federation are going to propose to the General Assembly in Tromso that any future FIDE President should be limited to two terms in office. What an excellent suggestion. I assume it's got no chance of being passed therefore.