Child Genius

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Re: Child Genius

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:26 pm

PaulTalbot wrote:Channel 4's Child Genius programme starts on Sunday 20th July at 9pm and should feature a young girl, Sharon Daniel, from Wigan Knights Chess Club. Sharon is the current British under 11 girls chess champion. Last year's programme was really interesting and I'm sure this years will be just as good. Sharon is a lovely girl as well as being a really good chess player. Lets hope that she does well.
You can't get any better than winning it. :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:31 pm

I saw that as well. Pleased she won it, but overall you hope all those kids do well and that things aren't as disconcerting the programme-makers depict it. The heart-warming moment for me was when the kid with Asperger syndrome made a presentation to his school class when he went back and helped them understand the condition and himself. The way the kids he was at school with just accepted the differences after learning about them is something a lot of adults could learn from.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: You can't get any better than winning it. :D
Yes good result winning it but it was very disspointing for the flim maker to not show more of Sharon chess achivements.No film of her at a chess event unless it was cut out? also not that much film of her at home unless it was cut out.
Sharon FIDE grade appear low at 1375 hopfully she enter more events to make her grade go up.Her ECF grade is 156.

The reviews for child genius where not good
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ml?ns_camp

Stiil who cares what others think! :wink:

Right must see if the chicken is cooked
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:07 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:The reviews for child genius where not good
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ml?ns_camp
Is it really any surprise that two of the children with the most 'extreme' parents couldn't cope with losing? When you tell a child (Tudor) that winning is all that matters, and delude him that it's almost certain that he will win, what do you expect when he doesn't? Compare them with Sophie, who was eliminated during the third week when she got all the spelling questions wrong. She was shown laughing and joking about it afterwards.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:00 am

Ian Thompson wrote: Is it really any surprise that two of the children with the most 'extreme' parents couldn't cope with losing? When you tell a child (Tudor) that winning is all that matters, and delude him that it's almost certain that he will win, what do you expect when he doesn't? Compare them with Sophie, who was eliminated during the third week when she got all the spelling questions wrong. She was shown laughing and joking about it afterwards.
What we do not know is what was cut out of the film about Tudor.His parents could have said many postive things about bringing up Tudor but this was cut out of the film. Tudor could have been filmed laughing and joking but it was not shown.The film makers look for soundbites to get joe public wanting to watch it.The name child genius was chosen to get the public interested as most people have a view on how they would bring up a child like this.
Was Sharon filmed playing chess and it cut out of the film wonder what else was not shown about her life?
The one problem with these types of programmes is that often the public(sheep) belive everything that the flim makers show.
When we took part the film makers wanted to make out that Peter had no friends and only went out into the garden which was of course not true but many sheep belived it some sheep where amazed to see Peter out on his own with his mates :wink:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 am

Peter D Williams wrote:The film makers look for soundbites to get joe public wanting to watch it.
Unlike a live sporting event, I'd imagine the producers know the result before they assemble the coverage. As authors, they know the general outline of the story and they look for characters and incidents to flesh out the drama.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:51 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Unlike a live sporting event, I'd imagine the producers know the result before they assemble the coverage. As authors, they know the general outline of the story and they look for characters and incidents to flesh out the drama.
Yes good way of puting it.What is interesting is when the characters do not follow the story line and then it has to be cut out otherwise it would ruin the plot.I remember from the first film the film crew come down to film us and where very disspointed to find that Peter was not playing chess Peter wanted them to film him painting.I remember one of the directors of the film saying when are you going to get the chess board out as that is why we come down to film you.Not today we said we painting.

As i said before positives come out of taking part in a film you get to see how its made meet various people in the TV world go to channel 4 headquarters etc.

It just amazed me how joe public belives it.

When you are successful many losers bark at you.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:17 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Yes good way of puting it.What is interesting is when the characters do not follow the story line and then it has to be cut out otherwise it would ruin the plot.I remember from the first film the film crew come down to film us and where very disspointed to find that Peter was not playing chess Peter wanted them to film him painting.I remember one of the directors of the film saying when are you going to get the chess board out as that is why we come down to film you.Not today we said we painting.

As i said before positives come out of taking part in a film you get to see how its made meet various people in the TV world go to channel 4 headquarters etc.

It just amazed me how joe public belives it.

When you are successful many losers bark at you.
Not just the TV or course, it is also the newspapers wanting a story for people to read by conveniently leaving out the boring bits and maybe exaggerate a few finer points to somehow 'spice up' the article.

It is the convenience that a successful person has a few cobwebs that makes the story. Un-related, but for example Louis Van Gaal being appointed at Manchester United led to an article on BBC Sport about his controversies at other clubs, for example (I admit it amused me that it happened) when he pulled his trousers down in front of his players during an argument to prove a point. It is the angle that successful people are somehow not 'normal' and that they are odd, to kind of 'bring them down' - an example of resentment of success, as you say.

Not that I am George Osborne's number one fan, but I do wish the media would stop picking on him just because he is different to average Joe. What really enraged me was the comparison of Osborne being upset at Thatcher's funeral and him smiling at the World War One memorial event not long gone before, to portray that he idolises 'The Witch' and that he doesn't care about the memory of the World War One soldiers. Thatcher is divisive enough, some people loved her, some people didn't. He almost certainly shows respect to the World War dead but he was only talking to the guy next to him for a short time.

The media is so fickle.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Lewis - I am surprised that Van Gaal exposing himself amused you and I doubt it was impossible to find a better way of proving his point before a group of young men than that.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:57 pm

John Moore wrote:Lewis - I am surprised that Van Gaal exposing himself amused you and I doubt it was impossible to find a better way of proving his point before a group of young men than that.
But isn't that the idea, to show how eccentric he is? Is it not funny that a manager would do something like that? Anyway, let's not elaborate on this too much, since we're going a bit off topic here!

Of course, such a thing is very unlikely to happen in chess!

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Agreed there is no way a professional chess player would expose themselves to others :roll:.

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:19 pm

They did film us at a chess match, but didn't show any of it (I've never seen so many chess players looking reasonably smart). As Sharon's team captain they interviewed me and tried to lead me into saying that she was a bit pushy, wanting to play on higher boards, none of which is true. I just said that she was a lovely, pleasant girl from a lovely, normal family, which is all absolutely true. As you know the interview wasn't shown :(

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:50 am

PaulTalbot wrote:They did film us at a chess match, but didn't show any of it (I've never seen so many chess players looking reasonably smart). As Sharon's team captain they interviewed me and tried to lead me into saying that she was a bit pushy, wanting to play on higher boards, none of which is true. I just said that she was a lovely, pleasant girl from a lovely, normal family, which is all absolutely true. As you know the interview wasn't shown :(
I was right film of Sharon playing chess plus interview by team Captain saying nice things cut out of film. This is what happened to us when Scott freeman said some nice remarks about Peter being normal pleasant etc. it was cut out because it did not suit the story line :wink:

Tonight we celebrate as Peter got 3 A in his A levels for the first year.I am sure your all be pleased to hear that news lol.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 am

Congratulations to Peter. Very good !

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:55 am

Barry Sandercock wrote:Congratulations to Peter. Very good !

Many thanks Barry :D