London Chess Classic

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
Matthew Peat
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:25 am

London Chess Classic

Post by Matthew Peat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 pm

I noticed the Schedule of the London Chess Classic has been published on the website.

The main event this year will be a six player all-play-all classical event. I suspect the players will be Adams, McShane(?), Jones, Howell + 2 others not playing in either World Championships, World Mind Games (Beijing) or Qatar Masters which are all being held around the same time. This is likely to mean 2 players who have not played before at the LCC as all previous players seemed to be signed up for 1 or more of the above.

I am disappointed at the scheduling for both the Classic and the FIDE open, both of which have start times of 4.30pm on weekdays (the FIDE open also having 2 rounds per day for the concluding 2 days). I thought this might be because the venue was being shared with another event to save costs, but a glance down the schedule indicates that during the day (9.30-15.30) it will be used for "Schools coaching and tournament". I understand the close ties with Chess in Schools and Communities but am not sure why the main event had to be affected (it is in a separate auditorium).

Still looking forward to it, but a bit less spectator/player friendly than in previous years.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5440
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:56 pm

Matthew Peat wrote:I noticed the Schedule of the London Chess Classic has been published on the website.

The main event this year will be a six player all-play-all classical event. I suspect the players will be Adams, McShane(?), Jones, Howell + 2 others not playing in either World Championships, World Mind Games (Beijing) or Qatar Masters which are all being held around the same time. This is likely to mean 2 players who have not played before at the LCC as all previous players seemed to be signed up for 1 or more of the above.

I am disappointed at the scheduling for both the Classic and the FIDE open, both of which have start times of 4.30pm on weekdays (the FIDE open also having 2 rounds per day for the concluding 2 days). I thought this might be because the venue was being shared with another event to save costs, but a glance down the schedule indicates that during the day (9.30-15.30) it will be used for "Schools coaching and tournament". I understand the close ties with Chess in Schools and Communities but am not sure why the main event had to be affected (it is in a separate auditorium).

Still looking forward to it, but a bit less spectator/player friendly than in previous years.
The schedule here: http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festi ... edules.htm shows the Classic starting at 16:00 Wed-Fri and 14:00 at the weekend :?

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5440
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:58 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Matthew Peat wrote:I noticed the Schedule of the London Chess Classic has been published on the website.

The main event this year will be a six player all-play-all classical event. I suspect the players will be Adams, McShane(?), Jones, Howell + 2 others not playing in either World Championships, World Mind Games (Beijing) or Qatar Masters which are all being held around the same time. This is likely to mean 2 players who have not played before at the LCC as all previous players seemed to be signed up for 1 or more of the above.

I am disappointed at the scheduling for both the Classic and the FIDE open, both of which have start times of 4.30pm on weekdays (the FIDE open also having 2 rounds per day for the concluding 2 days). I thought this might be because the venue was being shared with another event to save costs, but a glance down the schedule indicates that during the day (9.30-15.30) it will be used for "Schools coaching and tournament". I understand the close ties with Chess in Schools and Communities but am not sure why the main event had to be affected (it is in a separate auditorium).

Still looking forward to it, but a bit less spectator/player friendly than in previous years.
The schedule here: http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festi ... edules.htm shows the Classic starting at 16:00 Wed-Fri and 14:00 at the weekend :? It's standard for the Classic to start 30 minutes before the open so the auditorium is full for the start of play. It's also worth bearing in mind that without Chess in Schools and Communities there wouldn't be a London Chess Classic. Having the Classic players involved in an open rapidplay also looks like a very good addition to the schedule.

Ray Sayers

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Ray Sayers » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:22 pm

I'm too old to be playing the last 4 games of a 9 round FIDE event in 2 days.

Good luck to the young 'uns!

User avatar
Paolo Casaschi
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:46 am

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:34 pm

Ray Sayers wrote:I'm too old to be playing the last 4 games of a 9 round FIDE event in 2 days.

Good luck to the young 'uns!
You'll probably be allowed to take a couple of bye and make it 7 rounds in 7 days.

Richard Bates
Posts: 3147
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:11 pm

Presumably it means a return to some rapid time control (2hrs + 1/2 hr or something)?

I can't see how you can have that schedule on the second weekend if you're playing 90'+30' + 30''per move? (even though that is 'officially' a five hour session).

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19453
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Richard Bates wrote: I can't see how you can have that schedule on the second weekend if you're playing 90'+30' + 30''per move? (even though that is 'officially' a five hour session).
The e2e4 events usually got away with just an hour's break when using 90 30, but there were some exceptions where the start of all or some of the afternoon games had to be delayed.

Matthew Lunn
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Matthew Lunn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:47 am

The lineup for the main event of the 6th London Chess Classic has been finalised:

The six player classical all play all will take place at Olympia London from 10th - 14th December 2014. The participants are (October 2014 ratings):

1. Fabiano Caruana (Italy), 2844
2. Vishy Anand (India), 2785
3. Anish Giri (Netherlands), 2768
4, Hikaru Nakamura (United States of America), 2764
5. Vladimir Kramnik (Russia), 2760
6. Michael Adams (England), 2758

They will also participate in a 10 round Super Rapidplay, which will take place from 6th - 7th December 2014 (see: http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festival_events.htm for further details). This event is open to everyone; under 25s (as of 6.12.2014) and women receive free entry to this and all other London Chess Classic tournaments. Under 25s are also entitled to one free ticket per day to watch the main event live, from either the auditorium or commentary room.

To enter, or buy tickets to the main event please see: http://www.londonchessclassic.com/tickets/
Last edited by Matthew Lunn on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Matthew Lunn
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Matthew Lunn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:56 am

For information on the 2nd London Chess and Education Conference, which takes place 6th - 7th December 2014, please see: http://www.londonchessclassic.com/conference/index.htm

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 2107
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:19 pm

The tournament appears to be losing its footing as a world class event, which is sad.

Graham Borrowdale

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:26 pm

MJMcCready wrote:The tournament appears to be losing its footing as a world class event, which is sad.
!!

1. Fabiano Caruana (Italy), 2844
2. Vishy Anand (India), 2785
3. Anish Giri (Netherlands), 2768
4, Hikaru Nakamura (United States of America), 2764
5. Vladimir Kramnik (Russia), 2760
6. Michael Adams (England), 2758

is a world class field in my eyes, and that makes it a world class event

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 2107
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:30 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:The tournament appears to be losing its footing as a world class event, which is sad.
!!

1. Fabiano Caruana (Italy), 2844
2. Vishy Anand (India), 2785
3. Anish Giri (Netherlands), 2768
4, Hikaru Nakamura (United States of America), 2764
5. Vladimir Kramnik (Russia), 2760
6. Michael Adams (England), 2758

is a world class field in my eyes, and that makes it a world class event

Okay, some confusion. I wasn't aware that they had confirmed. From the page I opened there are no confirmed players as yet.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19453
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:34 pm

MJMcCready wrote: Okay, some confusion. I wasn't aware that they had confirmed. From the page I opened there are no confirmed players as yet.
No names yet forthcoming as entries to the Swiss. This starts two days later than previous schedules and plays the final weekend to a weekend tournament schedule.

Mick Norris
Posts: 8620
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Graham Borrowdale wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:The tournament appears to be losing its footing as a world class event, which is sad.
!!

1. Fabiano Caruana (Italy), 2844
2. Vishy Anand (India), 2785
3. Anish Giri (Netherlands), 2768
4, Hikaru Nakamura (United States of America), 2764
5. Vladimir Kramnik (Russia), 2760
6. Michael Adams (England), 2758

is a world class field in my eyes, and that makes it a world class event
Based on the October FIDE rating list, that's the world numbers 2,6,7,9,11 & 12
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

MartinCarpenter
Posts: 2718
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Re: London Chess Classic

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 pm

The thing it seems to be losing is it being a venue for top British players to play said world class field. I presume this is a likely cost saving (via shortening the event) of some sort.

Seems sensible enough to me in that context really - only really Adams who can strongly compete in this sort of company right now.

Post Reply