How Do You Resign

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Gostelow

Re: How Do You Resign

Post by David Gostelow » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:51 pm

I have had an opponent walk out the venue in the league match saying nothing and then there are those that don't turn up to adjournments as I had last year in Div 1 in the Bham League , no apology no nothing and you have to sit there because they just might turn up very late .

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:I have heard that in America a popular way to resign is to remove the board and clock and go home while your opponent is not looking.
Correct. That's because in the land of the free and the home of the brave, tournament players have to bring their own sets and clocks and often it's the loser's set and clock that's being used.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:59 pm

I stand on the table and shout "Why must I lose to this idiot".

I'm surprised to see nobody else follows this traditional approach ...

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:39 pm

I know the story but I've forgotten who the players were (other than I believe it was said in German). Can you remind us Mike?

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:46 pm

It was Nimzovich after losing to Samisch.

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Didn't Alekhine hurl his king across the room once?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Who was it who was so annoyed at losing he crept back into the playing hall and cut off the heads of all the kings (or queens) in all the chess sets?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:It was Nimzovich after losing to Samisch.
I know everybody says it was Nimzo, but do you have an original source for the claim?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Who was it who was so annoyed at losing he crept back into the playing hall and cut off the heads of all the kings (or queens) in all the chess sets?
Found the details here (with some other interesting accounts):

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sports/2 ... ess-291981

Richard, that webpage mentions The Complete Chess Addict. Are all those stories from there?

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
I know everybody says it was Nimzo, but do you have an original source for the claim?

The source for the anecdote is Hans Kmoch who says that Samisch told him the story.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:I have heard that in America a popular way to resign is to remove the board and clock and go home while your opponent is not looking.
The winner of the last game I played in America was allowed to take the board home with him, but not the pieces (kept by the organisers) or the clock (provided by one of the players).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm not quite sure how it squares with reporting results, but did I see a story about a scumbag trick? You remove the board, pieces and clock to give the impression of resignation. When the opponent wanders off for a meal or whatever, you reinstate the equipment, play a move and then claim the game on time. The notion of signing the score-sheet to claim a win would cut across this, but with the popularity of electronic gadgets such as the Monroi, there isn't always a physical score-sheet to sign. If the budget doesn't run to hiring equipment, does that also apply to score-sheets or result slips?

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:42 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:If the budget doesn't run to hiring equipment, does that also apply to score-sheets or result slips?
In the large open U$ tournaments it seems to apply to score sheets but not to result slips.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:51 am

Barry Sandercock wrote:Jonathan Bryant wrote:

The source for the anecdote is Hans Kmoch who says that Samisch told him the story.

It’s part of chess lore isn’t it. Our common knowledge. Although not the tournament or year it is supposed to have happened. And not everybody can cite Kmoch as a source.

Somebody once suggested to me that it’s odd that there’s no contemporary reference to the incident and it is, don’t you think? I mean, it’s not like it would be possible that nobody else noticed.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:39 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Who was it who was so annoyed at losing he crept back into the playing hall and cut off the heads of all the kings (or queens) in all the chess sets?
Found the details here (with some other interesting accounts):

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/sports/2 ... ess-291981

Richard, that webpage mentions The Complete Chess Addict. Are all those stories from there?
Only the first four paragraphs are from TCCA.

When I decide to give up teaching chess to kids whose parents don't want them to be good at the game or learn properly and do a new edition of T(EM)CCA I'll refer to Edward Winter for this sort of thing.