Standards at chess clubs

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Francis Fields

Standards at chess clubs

Post by Francis Fields » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:47 am

Apart from BO I was thinking what else is unacceptable at chess clubs. One of the local clubs here had a player show up in torn clothes.

He also thought is was acceptable in between moves to pop down the pub for a pint and a couple of ciggies.

JustinHorton

Re: Standards at chess clubs

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 am

I'm sure I have played in torn clothes.

Also, if my opponent was to take so long to move that I had time for a couple of ciggies, and I was a smoker, I'd be very tempted.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:02 am

Our lot pop out for cigs all the time. And they drink at the board. Suits me - I stay sober on lemonade and think in their time while they poison themselves. Can't see the problem. As for torn clothes - well it's better than one county match where the Board 1 played in his vest.

Niall Doran

Post by Niall Doran » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:09 am

A guy in my club likes to drink beer while playing. The (unintentional) beery belches he sends my way are fairly foul!

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:17 pm

I generally avoid drinking at the board these days (unless I’ve had a pretty terrible day at work and know I’m going to play like a numpty anyway) But I have been known to do it in the past and have no problem with others doing it - and I’d say in the Leeds and Bradford leagues, more people drink at the board than not.

I don’t pop out for a ciggy anymore, I pop out for a vape :D
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Nevil Chan

Post by Nevil Chan » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:31 am

Several years ago I had to reprimand a player for disappearing to the bar during a DK match and ordering a coffee.
"Some people are good enough at chess to take it seriously; you are not one of them."

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:35 am

We had a player banned for life for wearing an offensive T-shirt. When he was asked to leave he fired an expletive towards the club president which didn't help matters. I can't repeat what was on the shirt but it was offensive.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:41 am

Nevil Chan wrote:Several years ago I had to reprimand a player for disappearing to the bar during a DK match and ordering a coffee.
Well there was some mirth at a DK-Hackney match last year when a DK player disappeared to the bar early in the game and, unprompted, bought his opponent a pint... of Coke. Needless to say it left his opponent in a tricky situation!

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:04 am

Having a drink at a league match is a recognised part of proceedings...and a coffee too, if thats your tipple...
As for club premises...I think this is something that clubs should consider.
Playing in tatty premises, which might be poorly lit, with poor playing conditions does not encourage membership...so, I`d urge clubs to consider this aspect, have a good look around the local area, and if something better can be found, then take stock...even if it might mean an increase in membership charges.
Paying £30 or so for a years membership and enjoyment is a snip......and having a club which attracts regular good attendance, not just match play, can add to the party spirit.
Yes, costs are important, so players might be reluctant to pay significant money.
And changing venue can mean changing club night, which can cause headaches...
The other factor to consider is convenience... If the venue is fairly central, or near a railway station, that can also help.

The comfort of members does merit consideration, and if the venue is reasonably spacious, and offers scope for social club chess activities, as well as good match play conditions, then all the better.

Add some good publicity to attract new players from around the area...and things could take a turn for the better..
As for dress sense...theres plenty of room for most tastes, but its something that players should give thought to...
BRING BACK THE BCF

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Nevil Chan wrote:Several years ago I had to reprimand a player for disappearing to the bar during a DK match and ordering a coffee.
Well there was some mirth at a DK-Hackney match last year when a DK player disappeared to the bar early in the game and, unprompted, bought his opponent a pint... of Coke. Needless to say it left his opponent in a tricky situation!
I seem to recall being the recipient :) That game was a draw, but I had a couple of pints of something stronger during the last London League match on Wednesday and beat Jon Speelman, so make of that what you will!

Arshad Ali

Post by Arshad Ali » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Francis Fields wrote:One of the local clubs here had a player show up in torn clothes.
I haven't got the dosh for a decent outfit. And I suppose my shave leaves much to be desired as well (Have you seen the price for razors these days?). Maybe the impecunious should be barred from playing chess -- only real toffs allowed.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Yes, well said Arshad!
I resent the idea that we need to be fashionably dressed to play an evening league game for a non monetary activity - as long as my opponents clothing has no aroma and is not overly distracting then I really don't care, it is not as though I really look at people anyway, I like to focus more on the board.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Arshad Ali wrote:
Francis Fields wrote:One of the local clubs here had a player show up in torn clothes.
I haven't got the dosh for a decent outfit. And I suppose my shave leaves much to be desired as well (Have you seen the price for razors these days?). Maybe the impecunious should be barred from playing chess -- only real toffs allowed.
Rather like the "good old days", then......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:01 pm

One of the attractions of chess as a hobby for many people, certainly adults, is that it is one of the cheapest on offer. I imagine that many club subscriptions, even if ECF Bronze membership is included, work out at less than £1 a week. Compare that to membership of a golf club or a gym. So dress codes and chess clubs are chalk and cheese.

How people dress at chess clubs seems less important to me than how they behave, e.g. how they greet new members, whether they are willing to help weaker or junior players, how sporting they are (win or lose) etc.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:17 pm

John Swain wrote:One of the attractions of chess as a hobby for many people, certainly adults, is that it is one of the cheapest on offer. I imagine that many club subscriptions, even if ECF Bronze membership is included, work out at less than £1 a week. Compare that to membership of a golf club or a gym. So dress codes and chess clubs are chalk and cheese.

How people dress at chess clubs seems less important to me than how they behave, e.g. how they greet new members, whether they are willing to help weaker or junior players, how sporting they are (win or lose) etc.
Agree on all counts. Save for actually dressing indecently or having really bad personal hygiene, almost anything is acceptable IMO.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)