Android App for Inputting Games

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Android App for Inputting Games

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:48 pm

Does anyone know of a good Android app that will allow you to input games and save them in PGN format for export to other programs?

Angus French

Re: Android App for Inputting Games

Post by Angus French » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:Does anyone know of a good Android app that will allow you to input games and save them in PGN format for export to other programs?
Droidfish saves in PGN (and comes with Stockfish too). Or were you wanting something different?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:Does anyone know of a good Android app that will allow you to input games and save them in PGN format for export to other programs?
The database program scid has pgn export and an Android version.

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:53 pm

Angus French wrote:Droidfish saves in PGN (and comes with Stockfish too). Or were you wanting something different?
Roger de Coverly wrote:The database program scid has pgn export and an Android version.

http://scid.sourceforge.net/
Thanks for the suggestions. Both meet the requirement. Having tried both I prefer the UI of scid, although I don't rate either of them very highly.

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:30 pm

I now use chess microbase which is not an app but the website has a mobile version (http://chessmicrobase.com/) which is very good.

You can input the games, save them in the cloud (only you have access unless you share a link with someone) and export in pgn if you need to.

You could also try the chessbase app (which costs a few £s). I prefer that to SCID and droidfish

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:33 pm

One thing I should add is that if you do look at chess microbase and setup an account I would change the settings on the board to high contrast. The default settings are too light I think. (I have a premium membership but there is a free version also if you don't need a large number of databases)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:35 pm

I tried Chess Microbase today, but it doesn't seem to work with my mobile phone or browser for some reason. I think it is an Android phone. An LG-E430 if that helps, and the browser is helpfully called 'Internet' (no, really). The site loads fine, but when I try to move the pieces on the board to enter a game into the microbase I had created, nothing (the response to touching the screen seems to be the problem, sometimes the squares highlight, mostly not, and haven't managed to get a piece to move yet). :( Should I persevere or to I need to install a separate or additional app? (I could just use a laptop, but entering games on a mobile while travelling home from a game seems like a good use of downtime).

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:12 pm

I have an android phone. I use the chrome browser which is available via Google play. It works well on my phone

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:13 am

Laurie Roberts wrote:I have an android phone. I use the chrome browser which is available via Google play. It works well on my phone
That worked, thanks!