Fred Coombes

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Peter D Williams

Fred Coombes

Post by Peter D Williams » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Does any one know if Fred Coombes is still playing chess? Does he go to a chess club for friendly games? If he is not playing chess does any one know why not? I used to play Fred the odd friendly game when i had time and he really appeared to enjoy his chess.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Nick Burrows

Re: Fred Coombes

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:51 pm

A legend of London chess. A true gentleman. He was at the last G.G Rapidplay i attended a couple of years back.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:48 pm

A lovely man. The most recent update I had was that Fred moved into a home, and wasn't as able to get to events as he once could.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:12 pm

Peter. Try Metropolitan & CCF. May have something. Occasionally club secretaries get an e-mail about a former player wanting to play. Or via SCCA.

Was playing Surrey Congress in 2012.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:13 am

British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 am

Fred also played for Wimbledon (and he hasn't been seen in their teams for a couple of years). He once told me that he worked for either London Transport or British Rail (I can't remember which) and this meant he could travel to venues for free.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:32 pm

I seem to remember playing a couple of postal correspondence games with a Mr Coombes a few years back, if it was Fred or not I don't know. Do we know if he played CC? I'll have to try and find my score sheet folder.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:46 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:A lovely man. The most recent update I had was that Fred moved into a home, and wasn't as able to get to events as he once could.
I thought Fred may have had to move into a care home due to his age.It would be nice if members on here could send him a christmas card but of course one could not give the address of the care home on here.The ECF could have his address then pass on any christmas cards to him.I guess the care home would have to be asked to check if this is a good idea.Seems a shame that a player who has played for many years is just forgotten by the chess community.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:37 pm

Great idea guys on the doing something for Fred. I also used to see him a lot at the Golders Green Rapids and always had a little chat with him. Often wondered how he is doing.
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Lee Bullock wrote:Great idea guys on the doing something for Fred. I also used to see him a lot at the Golders Green Rapids and always had a little chat with him. Often wondered how he is doing.
I dont think any one is doing anything that is the problem.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Lee Bullock wrote:Great idea guys on the doing something for Fred. I also used to see him a lot at the Golders Green Rapids and always had a little chat with him. Often wondered how he is doing.
Hi Peter.

Who would we talk to or who would be responsible for something like this? For someone like Fred who has given his time to Chess, help to kids, his done coaching etc. For him to just be forgotten by the ECF like this is wrong. If he really is too ill now then the least the ECF can do is get him a card or something surely? If I could find out where he is I would pay myself. So cost is no issue here.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:09 pm

Lee Bullock wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:
Hi Peter.

Who would we talk to or who would be responsible for something like this? For someone like Fred who has given his time to Chess, help to kids, his done coaching etc. For him to just be forgotten by the ECF like this is wrong. If he really is too ill now then the least the ECF can do is get him a card or something surely? If I could find out where he is I would pay myself. So cost is no issue here.
Hi Lee

I have no idea who to talk to or who would be responsible – that is the problem. It seems that once again in this crazy word that the elderly are forgotten.

Adam Raoof did say in this post that Fred was in a care home – is it possible that Adam could contact the person who gave him this information and find out if Fred is happy for those who are interested to have this address so they can at the very least send Fred a card or even visit him and chat if they are local

I did have a crazy thought about the ECF arranging for a top player to go and visit Fred - something which I am sure he would love

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi Peter,

It would be a beautiful touch if they could do something like that yeah. I am seeing Adam tomorrow so I will have a chat with him. And get back to you on here.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Well Adam is going to look back at some entry Sheets to see if we can get a last address for Fred.

I have messaged Andrew Walker who may beable to help us.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Still one of my favourite photos ever :)

http://johnupham.smugmug.com/Chess/Surr ... 49_rV7SJkD