Page 1 of 26

London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:23 am
by Ian Kingston
This looks interesting:

London Chess Centre announces brand new super tournament in December in London

Does anyone know any more than is in the announcement above?

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:16 pm
by TomChivers
Nigel Short will play according to his chessgames page.

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:19 pm
by Leonard Barden
The 3 English will presumably be Adams, Short and Howell. Rumour is that the sponsor is a hedge fund manager or something similar.

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:53 pm
by Sean Hewitt
I think this is excellent news and I for one offer Malcolm Pein my congratulations for putting it together.

Hope the venue is appropriate for such an event. I'm sure it will be!

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:43 pm
by John Upham
I sincerley hope that this tournaments raises the bar of how top level chess is presented in the UK to the public.

I hope to see new benchmarks such as we have become used to seeing at Linares, Wijk aan Zee, Corus including the famous glass player cages.

No more to elderly demo boards on rickety old easels, lives games being transmitted to the analysis room via runners on bits of paper etc etc.

A big opportunity that we should all embrace and support! :D

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:16 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
Leonard Barden wrote:Rumour is that the sponsor is a hedge fund manager or something similar.
Aren't they all skint now?

Anyway, this is obviously good news.

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:23 pm
by Mike Truran
Even if they're skint they're still probably in better shape than some other 'sponsors' the ECF has got itself involved with.

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:23 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Sean Hewitt wrote:I think this is excellent news and I for one offer Malcolm Pein my congratulations for putting it together.

Hope the venue is appropriate for such an event. I'm sure it will be!
Since Malcolm is a forum member lets hope he logs on and expands on the little information we have so far

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:45 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
TomChivers wrote:Nigel Short will play according to his chessgames page.
I'm available too

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:03 pm
by Gary Cook
Any news on this, the ECF sites says the players would be announced in April?

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:05 am
by Matthew Turner
Contracts (with players) are being signed now and I believe the line-up will be announced before the end of the week. Speculation (and I reiterate speculation) is that the three English players will be Adams, Short and MacShane and that Aronian will play.

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:20 am
by LozCooper
No David Howell?

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:08 pm
by Matthew Turner
Lawrence,
That is the implication of the speculation!

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:19 pm
by benedgell
Any more news on this tournament? All sounded terrifically exciting when it was first announced, hope there aren't any problems.

Re: London tournament announcement

Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:46 pm
by Andy Burnett
This seems to be the most recent news - looks like a very interesting mix of styles so far.

http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html#london09