Appendix G Clock substitutions

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Appendix G Clock substitutions

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 pm

The US has regulations regarding prize money in poker tournaments. I expect it is the same for chess ones. It is an advantage to be English as then they do not withhold 30% tax from your prize money.
Since the Millioaniare tournament has such high prize money, somebody might claim to be a different, lower rated player, than they actually are. Proof of ID then makes sense. Of course a passport is better even than a birth certificate. But many US players don't have one. I recently had aggravation with Santander in England because I only had a passport, no driving license.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: Since the Millioaniare tournament has such high prize money, somebody might claim to be a different, lower rated player, than they actually are.
With that kind of money at stake, does anybody know if the organisers took precautions against electronic cheating?
(body searches for instance)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:05 pm

Clive Blackburn wrote: With that kind of money at stake, does anybody know if the organisers took precautions against electronic cheating?
(body searches for instance)
It's in the tournament policies as previously posted.

https://millionairechess.com/tournament-policies
NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES OF ANY KIND
No player may use or wear any type of electronic or digital device, phone, blackberry, PDA, computer, ear-piece, headset, communications device, microphone, speaker or the like while playing without the expressed permission of a Tournament Director (doctors on call included). The penalty for such use is forfeiture of the round, and an immediate investigation into the nature of the use will be done to determine if dismissal from the tournament is warranted.
They seem far more tolerant than a British tournament would be about mobile phone calls.
A player who needs to make a call during play should see a TD (Tournament Director) and request permission. The call must be made in the presence of TD.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Thank you Roger, I am sure that I must have read that at the time but I forgot.