Page 1 of 1
Info on ratings and games
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:08 pm
by Rosemary Lodge
I'm trying to find out a bit more about my Dad's chess career - he was a correspondence chess IM, and died in 1997. It would be great to know what his highest ever rating was and also to see some of his games. I think he had a tournament named after him too - the David Lodge Memorial. Any information about him or how to find out more would be really welcome! I have searched on line but haven't found much yet.
Re: Info on ratings and games
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:28 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
I found
one game played by a David Wilfred Lodge on chessgames.com; is that your dad?
Re: Info on ratings and games
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:35 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Rosemary Lodge wrote: Any information about him or how to find out more would be really welcome!
chessgames.com has just the one game
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1077779
A link to the memorial tournament is here
https://www.iccf.com/event?id=35412
Regarding a games collection, if you go to the site
http://database.chessbase.com/js/apps/database/
and type Lodge in the search box, there's a pageful, covering around thirty years.
Re: Info on ratings and games
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:46 pm
by Rosemary Lodge
Jack - yes that's my Dad - that was the one game I found too.
Roger - that's brilliant - thanks! My son has just started playing (rather belatedly at the age of 16) and he will enjoy going through the games. He never got to meet my Dad so it will be a lovely way for him to make a connection.
Re: Info on ratings and games
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:09 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
I consulted Ian Pheby of English Federation of Correspondence Chess, who has found some info and is looking for more.
I will PM what he said, rather than putting it here. There is a database of 37 games.
Re: Info on ratings and games
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:12 pm
by Rosemary Lodge
Thanks Kevin that's great - I've also PMed you. I noticed after I sent it that I erroneously put a full stop at the end of my email address so you will need to delete that before sending.
Re: Info on ratings and games
Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:37 pm
by Tim Harding
Rosemary Lodge wrote:I'm trying to find out a bit more about my Dad's chess career - he was a correspondence chess IM, and died in 1997. It would be great to know what his highest ever rating was and also to see some of his games. I think he had a tournament named after him too - the David Lodge Memorial. Any information about him or how to find out more would be really welcome! I have searched on line but haven't found much yet.
I have checked ICCF's old ratings database Eloquery which shows your father's highest correspondence chess rating was 2480 (July 1992 list) and he was awarded the CC-IM title in 1991.
There are 54 games by him in my database. You may send me your email address in a private message if you want to receive them.