Just in case anyone was wondering, the BCM website (http://www.bcmchess.co.uk) is currently out of action.
A few days ago, BCM's website host, Webfusion*, was apparently hacked into and passwords stolen. As a result, the website's security was compromised and infected with malware. This resulted in the site been labelled a potential 'attack site' by Google. I have taken the precaution of dismantling the BCM website completely (apart from from a message saying that 'normal service will be resumed soon' etc etc) and resubmitting to Google so that we can be restored to their 'good books' (as it were). In a day or so I will restore the website from backups.
* I suppose I should add "allegedly" here somewhere, but other users of this web hosting company seem to be saying this and it makes sense. Webfusion didn't bother to tell anybody that it had happened and apparently are still officially in denial about it! They are also virtually incommunicado, bouncing emails to their support section. The BadBishop website, owned by Murray Chandler and on the same web host, was also a victim of this security breach.
If any IT experts who read this have any other advice for getting a website up and running after a hacking attack, or how to be relisted on Google, I would be much obliged for their advice - [email protected]
BCM Website
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
BCM Website
Last edited by John Saunders on Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: BCM Website currently down
You should be looking for another service provider to host your site after this fiasco as that is the only course at this point...John Saunders wrote:If any IT experts who read this have any other advice for getting a website up and running after a hacking attack, or how to be relisted on Google, I would be much obliged for their advice - [email protected]
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: BCM Website back up
BCM's website (http://www.bcmchess.co.uk) is back in action. I haven't restored the entire site so some of the more obscure pages are not yet online but all the important ones are there. It is also now accessible via Google again.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)