Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Habershon

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by Paul Habershon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:43 pm
" Everyone can see me with a hand scanner but they don't know what else I am doing."

Why am I suddenly reminded of BBC License fee detector vans which detected nothing
but cruised about pretending they could catch non-license fee payers.
I went several years without a TV. Every year the BBC used to send me a form to sign and return in a prepaid envelope to confirm this. No problem. I would have been quite happy for them to search my house.

I don't understand why people like Charles Moore in the Spectator get so wound up and and accuse the BBC of persecution when they have no licence and no TV at a property. They obviously couldn't be bothered to return the appropriate form. I don't blame the BBC for following up non-payment without explanation from the property owner.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:44 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:57 pm
I don't understand why people like Charles Moore in the Spectator get so wound up and and accuse the BBC of persecution when they have no licence and no TV at a property. They obviously couldn't be bothered to return the appropriate form.
My experience, when renting a flat while working away from my main home, and only having a TV in one property, was that completing the appropriate form did not stop the BBC continuing sending me numerous letters warning me of the consequences of watching TV without a licence and telling me to buy one.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:45 pm

"They obviously couldn't be bothered to return the appropriate form. I don't blame the BBC for following up non-payment without explanation from the property owner."

Unfortunately, BBC do badger some people even after the form is returned. A friend of mine (who was TV-less) had someone hammering on the door and saying, "If you buy a licence, we won't bother you."(!) Another one was contacted every 3 months - it may vary by region.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:22 pm

I haven't had a TV for 10+ years. I get an email every two years from the BBC asking me if I still don't need a licence.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:07 pm

Ok, so some BBC badgering may happen, but at least they can't successfully prosecute if you are telling the truth. I fervently hope that the licence system stays in place, despite me just missing out on the free ones for O-75s. I would hate every channel having commercials.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:07 pm
I fervently hope that the licence system stays in place, despite me just missing out on the free ones for O-75s.
You have had a good run, but you are on the wrong side of history. The time is coming when if you want to watch programmes of a certain sort, you will have to pay for them yourself rather than relying on others being bullied into doing so for you.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:22 pm

There have always been subscriptions for those sort of channels, Nick. Glad to see that you are signed up!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:47 pm

John Moore wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:22 pm
There have always been subscriptions for those sort of channels, Nick.
I know that very well. I just don't understand why I am required to pay money to the BBC if I want to watch ITV.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:53 pm

All of us pay for things we do not use ourselves, and rightly so.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:21 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:53 pm
All of us pay for things we do not use ourselves, and rightly so.
I understand that, but it isn't the point. I expect you can watch ITV live via some satellite without paying money directly to a competitor of theirs, why can't I?

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:17 am

OOPS!

My licence fee gag has drifted this thread. (I'll drag it back)

The fee is only £13.00 a month and although I was really miffed at paying the ridiculous wages of Ross and Evans
and believe BBC's daytime T.V. is a government ploy to get people off the sofa and into work I sucked it up because
I have R4 or R4 extra on all day. Now I have catch up so I can get my Lucy Worsley...
...when ever I want. (I might go to £20.00 a month just to catch her programmes. Best thing on T.V.)

Like another poster I despise adverts and try never to buy anything advertised on TV.
but I do agree, we should be given the choice if we want to subscribe to BBC or not.

Back on thread, though not online cheating (and good luck with that.) and it's not really cheating
at playing but wheeling and dealing and throwing games. (which is cheating the other players - who
after you read this may be what the other players expected. It appears everyone was at it.)

Paraphrased from BCM July 1988 (page 311

At the 1903 3rd Russian Championship Yurevich and Rabinovich pre-arranged their game would go to adjournment,
they would then play a private game and who lost that game would lose the adjourned game.
But as Black Yurevich screwed up the deal by playing 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. e3 b5 4. a4 c6 5. axb5 cxb5 6. Qf3.

This blunder/trap was first mentioned by Greco in 1620!

Yurevich lost and complained to the committee! Rabinovich admitted a deal had been made but could
not let such 'childish play' reach adjournment. A hoo-ha blew up in the press, the committee calmed it down.

Actually no real harm done, but read on.

Same tournament, Yurevich (again) and Lebedev were accused in print by Chigorin, who noted up the
following game, of composing it to pick up (and I assume split) the 100 roubles brilliancy prize.

Yurevich claimed Chigorin is doing this out of revenge because in their game,
which Yurevich won, Chigorin made him a mid-game 'offer.' which Yurevich refused.

Lebedev admitted that the game was made up adding he had sold his game 'very profitably' to Chigorin.

The Brilliancy Prize Game.
V. Yurevich - S. Lebedev, Kiev 1903.

...more details, including Chigorin's game notes evidence here:

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1739533

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:44 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:43 pm
" Everyone can see me with a hand scanner but they don't know what else I am doing."

Why am I suddenly reminded of BBC License fee detector vans which detected nothing
but cruised about pretending they could catch non-license fee payers.
That made me laugh!

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:46 am

Hi Andy,

Thought I'd better step in and say something before someone suggests
something else you might be doing with the non-scanner hand.

(Carl, I'm thinking of picking his nose, scratching his bum....)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:14 am

Things are obviously happening behind the scenes because there are less google search results about Maghsoodloo than there used to be :)

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:49 pm

Fide have now produced regulations for online chess and a thread has been started here