Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
LawrenceCooper

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Another case reported: http://chess-results.com/tnr187532.aspx ... 984&snr=19

Radislav Yordanov Atanasov informs: In the 4th round of the tournament in the party a second table Ivaylo Enchev - Radi Danov, Ivaylo resigned , whereupon the judge requested verification of Radi Danov of his shoes . The latter refuses inspection, then the result is changed by judges Inkiov and Iliev in favor of ENCHEV and Danov was expelled from the tournament because of his refusal to be checked for using illegal means!

Source GM Artur Kogan on Facebook.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:11 pm

NickFaulks wrote:After a flurry of activity last year, I don't really know what the Anti-Cheating Commission has been doing. I hope to learn something at the Congress, although they have not submitted an agenda for their meeting.

Sebastien Feller is back, and was allowed to retain his rating from before the ban, which looks controversial to me.
I only just noticed that the 2010 board medals have been re-allocated minus Sebastien Feller: http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... edals.html

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:57 am

The guy who caught caught cheating in Dubai (hidden phone in the toilet) has had a three year ban and his GM title stripped from him. He has been allowed to keep his IM title due to his cooperation and remorseful behavior apparently. No doubt Azmai put in a word for him. Is this a just punishment? I honestly am not sure he's really got what he deserved but maybe I'm being too harsh?

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... lidze.html

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:48 am

Chris Rice wrote: Is this a just punishment? I honestly am not sure he's really got what he deserved but maybe I'm being too harsh?
The three year ban is the maximum sanction for the first (detected) offence. I suppose FIDE , its ACC or its Ethics Commission has the power to strip titles, but is this properly documented? Feller retained his.

I note that they are silent about previous offending. The implication being that it was the first time he took it into his head to conceal a device to be consulted during play. Perhaps it was the influence of the Georgian President of ECU that meant no investigation was published into his previous play, given that he had been champion of Georgia.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:01 pm

I wish i could download a chess grandmaster program straigh into my brain therefore making me as strong as the engine.

I would overnight become the best player in the world. I'm sure i could act like i was thinking about moves in long games :-)

Would be great to shake young Magnus's hand after he reigned yet again. I think i'd have to throw in the occasional draw or make a blunder. I'd be in real trouble if it crashed or got a virus. Think i'd have to fake an accident involving a bang on the head and claim to have lost my memory haha

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Isn't wearing glasses a form of cheating in chess?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:13 pm

No. Messages in the bottom of a glass? Yes

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:36 pm

Chris Rice wrote:The guy who caught caught cheating in Dubai (hidden phone in the toilet) has had a three year ban and his GM title stripped from him. He has been allowed to keep his IM title due to his cooperation and remorseful behavior apparently.
Roger de Coverly wrote:I note that they are silent about previous offending. The implication being that it was the first time he took it into his head to conceal a device to be consulted during play.
The article on the FIDE website refers to Nigalidze having been stripped of his GM title "on the basis of unworthiness".

The inference which I draw is that the Ethics Commission believed his earlier IM title to have been obtained honestly, but suspected that his GM title might not have been.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:59 am

Nick Grey wrote:No. Messages in the bottom of a glass? Yes
But someone wearing glasses can see the board more clearly than they normally would and is thus gaining an unfair advantage.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:09 am

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:I wish i could download a chess grandmaster program straigh into my brain therefore making me as strong as the engine.

I would overnight become the best player in the world. I'm sure i could act like i was thinking about moves in long games :-)

Would be great to shake young Magnus's hand after he reigned yet again. I think i'd have to throw in the occasional draw or make a blunder. I'd be in real trouble if it crashed or got a virus. Think i'd have to fake an accident involving a bang on the head and claim to have lost my memory haha
I think in that situation, playing against Carlsen, I would drink steadily throughout the game, becoming gradually more and more incapable to the point where I could barely stand on my own two feet, yet all the time playing flawless chess and beating him convincingly! The look on his face as he resigned or got mated would be interesting! :D

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Glasses & sportsmen: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Edgar Davids, Dennis Taylor, Nigel Short ...

Not sure why you are against a reasonable adjustment in any line of work, sport or game. It will be discriminatory not to.

Am I allowed to have a cup of coffee or a beer whilst pondering my next chess move?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:15 pm

>I wish i could download a chess grandmaster program straight into my brain therefore making me as strong as the engine.<

I think this century it will happen that it will become possible to download a computer into the brain. It wouldn't have to be a solely chess one.
The only likely obstacle is that it may be carcinogenic.
I think that will be the end of chess. A correspondence player I met on my current cruise disagrees. He believes a computer can only take a player so far.
Of course wearing glasses is not taking an unfair advantage. Nor is having a stick to enable you to get about. Nor special sets for blind players.
But is taking drugs in physical sports such as athletics or cycling? It is against the rules, but why? One is because they harm the body. But if a player wants to do that, why not let them?

I wonder also whether it will become possible to download the essence of a human being into a computer, thus rendering the person, in a sense, immortal.

Who would have thought 30 years ago that I could speculate in this manner after having visited Cape Horn this morning?

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: But is taking drugs in physical sports such as athletics or cycling? It is against the rules, but why? One is because they harm the body. But if a player wants to do that, why not let them?
One good reason is that others (particularly young ambitious types who don't know any better) may feel compelled to take drugs to avoid getting 'left behind'. So the rule is there, to some extent, to protect people from themselves.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:37 am

Reg. I am, of course aware of that view. Indeed I discourage consumption of alcohol while playing chess on the basis that it may encourage youngsters also to do so.
But we should not simply, unthinkingly, accept such rules as being immutable.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:16 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Indeed I discourage consumption of alcohol while playing chess on the basis that it may encourage youngsters also to do so.
That is a different issue. I doubt that junior players see their opponent drinking a pint and think "that's why he's playing better moves than me". They are more likely to hope that he has a couple more.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.