Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:47 am

Not sure I'm with you there, especially given that libel laws are not as strong in the US as they are in the UK
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:35 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:47 am
Not sure I'm with you there, especially given that libel laws are not as strong in the US as they are in the UK
That's true in theory, and does apply to the whopping high profile cases we read about. In practice, the US has developed a thriving industry within which middling level personalities sue each other over social media comments.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:07 pm

"In practice, the US has developed a thriving industry within which middling level personalities sue each other over social media comments."

US does seem to be overly-litigious at times, but it's frequently rich bullies doing it. But, UK is getting a reputation for libel tourism as well.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:10 pm

"As well"?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:14 pm

"As well"?

Ah, I left out money-laundering.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:17 pm

No, that's not the point. Your used the term "libel tourism".
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:28 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:02 am
JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:51 am
Pretty impressed with Naka reinventing himself as an anti-cheating expert, something of a change of pace there
I feel he may be close to the edge of what you can get away with, particularly in the US. He must be worth suing by now.
I feel he was pretty non committal, and not once accused of cheating.
He said most games.are natural moves, and only in one he thought something was unusual. Not necessarily cheating, but a move too deep for this time control.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:28 pm
Not necessarily cheating, but a move too deep for this time control.
He pointedly did not suggest any other explanation.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 pm

I think it was absolutely clear that Nakamura was accusing the player of cheating. Why talk about the player having a break and then coming back stronger or his team mates 'disappearing' from chess.com.
I am not sure that focusing on two moves (qd2 and f5) is particularly helpful. You could reject the idea of f4 and Qf2 on a geometric idea that this puts the Q and both R in line for a fork so gives Black the resource of Nc5. Once you reject f4 what else are you going to play? Maybe Qd2 becomes perfectly sensible and not so difficult to find.
Similarly f5 seems very thematic, I understand that it fractures White's pawn structure and could turn out to be a big mistake, but it could be that White simply got lucky, or that White must play f5 at some point so Nakamura's suggestions of preparatory moves like g4 are simply a waste of time.
I am not seeking to defend the Armenian player, but simply saying that there are counters to Nakamura's arguments.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:15 pm

All online chess seems to allow cheating IMO.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:40 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 pm
I think it was absolutely clear that Nakamura was accusing the player of cheating.

Yes, of course he was. Half a dozen times.
I am not seeking to defend the Armenian player, but simply saying that there are counters to Nakamura's arguments.
Then I think you are defending him, and quite rightly. You don't have to be certain of his innocence ( how could you be? ) to feel that he should not have to be exposed to such tendentious accusations.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:18 pm

One point. Wesley So claimed that Petrosian never played the Caro Kann but beat Caruana with it - as if this was a totally absurd thing to have happened.

1. Here's a counter-example.

[Event "Asrian Memorial"]

2. Isn't this a standard suprise ploy to avoid your opponent's preparation and upset his equilibrium? Fischer playing the Queen's Gambit against Spassky is the most famous example.

3. Nakamura conceded that Caruana had a winning position and blundered it away.

4. In the games against Domiguez and So, TP played the KIA, an opening in which he has a lot of experience. Here he uses it to take down PenguinGM no less in a rapid game. Note the very similar structure to the Dominguez game.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:25 pm

I watched the entire Nakamura review, and if you are a neutral party (don't care for either protagonist or Naka) I don't think he was accusing if cheating.
Or it shows how much a message can be perceived differently depending on the recipient.

He was toying with the idea, flirting with it, but never outright. Naka on stream is an entertainer before being a chess player. His goal was to keep it as interesting as possible, not burn bridges or get sued, but still give a bone or two for the fans on both sides of the fence.
He never said the one single suspect move was impossible. Just that he would not have been able to find it.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:38 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:18 pm

4. In the games against Domiguez and So, TP played the KIA, an opening in which he has a lot of experience. Here he uses it to take down PenguinGM no less in a rapid game. Note the very similar structure to the Dominguez game.
In his book Flank Openings, Ray Keene sometimes tried to give the impression that the KIA was a forced win for White, particularly in the French/Sicilian version where White plays e5 coupled with the Knight tour Nb1-d2-f1-h2 and the h pawn march. It's a variation where similar structures recur in repeated games, so pre game study of the patterns can be rewarding.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:27 pm

I reckon I would have played Qd2 ;)