Chess Royalty

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Re: Chess Royalty

Post by Chris Rice » Sun May 03, 2015 6:59 am

Sorry Jon I'm calling it a screenshot but maybe I should just say its the video clip with this mysterious guy on it (before you click on play) and underneath it is a sentence (which I've called a caption perhaps I shouldn't have) which reads "about Ray's new* friend His Serene Highness Prince Marek Stefan Jan Kasperski."

Hope that makes sense but if not happy to leave it.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun May 03, 2015 7:31 am

As Jonathan observes, there's no screenshot, no caption and nothing which requires any action at all.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun May 03, 2015 7:37 am

Chris Rice wrote:Sorry Jon I'm calling it a screenshot but maybe I should just say its the video clip with this mysterious guy on it (before you click on play) and underneath it is a sentence (which I've called a caption perhaps I shouldn't have) which reads "about Ray's new* friend His Serene Highness Prince Marek Stefan Jan Kasperski."

Hope that makes sense but if not happy to leave it.

Ah Ok, I’m with you now. Well I do think there’s a rather significant difference between a caption and continuing text, but I see what you mean.

If you or your informant want to add a comment to the post pointing out the fellow on the front of the "Today Tonight" news clip is not actually this Marek bloke then that would be fine by me. Readers could then decide for themselves whether that is a substantive point that calls into question the validity of the video itself.

Some, I suppose, may feel that the video nonetheless retains some value for what it has to say about the two chaps claiming to be princes (I’ve not bothered my arse to watch the whole thing, but I see the word "fantasy" crops up fairly early). Particularly so when it’s placed in contrast with the Raymondo announcement that he had been honoured by our Prince Marek. I note in passing that RDK seems to have been retweeted by no less a figure as Steve Giddins there.

I wonder if a few of our readers might wonder if the raising of this issue was merely an attempt to direct attention away from the central narrative of Ray being caught in an act of self-aggrandisement/mixing with questionable friends. That would be a pity if so. Still, I leave the choice of whether to comment or not to your informant.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Sun May 03, 2015 8:24 am

Thank you, John McKenna: "The name 'Torres Vedras' links Count Ray to Viscount Arthur, the Iron Duke."

Presumably Ray is thus linked to Count Arthur, the Strong ... and this seems about as credible as the rest of the story

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun May 03, 2015 8:42 am

Chris Rice wrote:Sorry Jon I'm calling it a screenshot but maybe I should just say its the video clip with this mysterious guy on it (before you click on play)
Indeed the whacking great arrow right in the middle of the picture might have given your friend a clue that it was a video item rather than a "photo" or a "screenshot".
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sun May 03, 2015 9:11 am

Just for the record, this is Ray receiving his companionate from Prince Marek himself. Although since then I believe he has been elevated to a Knight of the Order, as well as now being a Portuguese Count.

https://twitter.com/Suhail_Chughtai/sta ... 77/photo/1

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun May 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:Thank you, John McKenna: "The name 'Torres Vedras' links Count Ray to Viscount Arthur, the Iron Duke."

Presumably Ray is thus linked to Count Arthur, the Strong ... and this seems about as credible as the rest of the story
Count Arthur Strong :lol:

Don't mention it, Andy, but Ray may also be know as Count Basie due to his noble aspirations but base nature.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Mon May 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Apparently there is no link to Count de Monnyanrun

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Tue May 05, 2015 12:22 am

In March my Twitter page had suggestions about possible members of an "elite": Baron Columns, Seigneur Donationsfortunis, Emir Justforthegrub, Viscount Hewritehisownstuff and Shah Yourselfwithpraise.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu May 28, 2015 2:48 pm

PeterFarr wrote:Just for the record, this is Ray receiving his companionate from Prince Marek himself. Although since then I believe he has been elevated to a Knight of the Order, as well as now being a Portuguese Count.

So what's the one he's wearing here (from a month earlier)?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Thu May 28, 2015 4:02 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
PeterFarr wrote:Just for the record, this is Ray receiving his companionate from Prince Marek himself. Although since then I believe he has been elevated to a Knight of the Order, as well as now being a Portuguese Count.

So what's the one he's wearing here (from a month earlier)?
Looks like the OBE to me, though can't claim to be an expert. Seems a reasonable assumption.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu May 28, 2015 4:38 pm

It's unlikely to be the Order of the Companiate of the White Swan which requires one of these, but in white. Whereas the Order of the Well-Plucked Pheasant requires this emblem of distinction

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 am

Chris Rice wrote:I haven't been given permission to name the source yet John but you can be assured its totally reliable. I have though been asked to point out that the link Justin posted to the Polish title includes a photo of what purports to be Prince Marek. Actually, the guy in the photo is not Ray's pal at all, it is someone totally different (no idea who though).
I received an email from Prince Marek this morning. That prompted me to rediscover this thread and to play through the video for the first time.

I think that the person on the front of the news clip is Prince Andrew, Prince Marek's brother.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:44 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: I received an email from Prince Marek this morning.
Was His Royal Highness at the chess match at the weekend then?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:57 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote: I received an email from Prince Marek this morning.
Was His Royal Highness at the chess match at the weekend then?
I presume that you mean His Serene Highness.

I was not available to play for Surrey U180 against Essex U180, so I don't know who was at the match.

However, I would be very surprised if the attendees included His Serene Highness Prince Marek.