Page 1 of 1

Online tournaments with prizes

Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:26 pm
by David Haydon
Can anyone suggest the best places on the web to play chess with chances of winning prizes? For instance in a tournament or even possibly one on one.

I remember a few years ago I played in a tournament on chesscubein which the winner gets everything paid for including hotel, flights, food and entry to a tournament in South Africa for 2 weeks, I Think it may have been the commonwealth champs.

Would be nice to know if any such things like this still exist on any chess server. Any recommendations or personal experiences of playing these type of online tournaments?

David.

Re: Online tournaments with prizes

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:47 pm
by Jon Mahony
I remember a site I found a few years ago where you could play for money stakes (Chess for money.com?) but I automatically assumed this would be a good place to loose £££’s to computer cheaters and never registered.

Re: Online tournaments with prizes

Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 pm
by Ian Thompson
David Haydon wrote:Can anyone suggest the best places on the web to play chess with chances of winning prizes? For instance in a tournament or even possibly one on one.
Playchess.com has tournaments with prizes, and, assuming it hasn't withdrawn the facility, the ability to play individual games for virtual currency. As I've never played that, I don't know whether the virtual currency could be exchanged for real money, or had to be used to buy Chessbase products and services.