English Chess Forum player of the year

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Brian Towers

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year

Post by Brian Towers » Wed May 27, 2015 7:35 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I don't mind other criteria beside results being relevant for "player of the year", but what I find laughable is that some people seem to think that this actually means that the results themselves might become irrelevant, or even that negative results should actually become relevant as a virtue!

Surely it about impressive results first and foremost?
I have to take issue with you there. I think playing consistently at a level to end up with a minus grading is much more difficult than getting a GM norm. That chap has my utmost respect.
Last edited by Brian Towers on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed May 27, 2015 10:11 pm

I almost hesitate to ask, but *why* did you want to lose those games?? :?:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu May 28, 2015 8:40 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:I almost hesitate to ask, but *why* did you want to lose those games?? :?:
I'd lost my grading after 4 years at university and was trying to win money in minors to supplement my teacher's salary.
Last edited by Brian Towers on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu May 28, 2015 11:39 am

How utterly pathetic :roll:

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu May 28, 2015 7:57 pm

David Robertson wrote:How utterly pathetic :roll:
It certainly was.

I do hope the plight of teachers in inner London has improved so that today measures like that wouldn't be necessary but I suspect it may be a forlorn hope.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu May 28, 2015 9:18 pm

It wouldn't be necessary, nothwithstanding the self-pitying economic justification, if you'd observed the most modest of sporting considerations; the equity effects too. Towers may be your name; but as far as ethical standards are concerned, nomen non est omen

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri May 29, 2015 2:00 am

A new award. English Chess Forum Cheat of the Year. That should generate lots of publicity.

Jack's list contains one player who was only registered ENG for the last 5-6 months of the 12 under consideration. If that is OK, then why not the young Australian currently resident in England who gained his last IM norm recently?

I probably played about one good move in roughly 40 competitive games in the year, scoring about 50%, and thus should definitely be included in Jack's list.

The late Ron Harman, graded about 185, and I played in a blitz tournament at Islington Club. He seemed to be losing all his games. Then I realised. He had started very badly and simply intended to lose them all, but not in an obvious manner. All went well until he came up against an opponent who had never ever even drawn a game at the club. Ron was several pieces down. Excellent, but he was obviously going to win on time. So he resigned. The opponent couldn't at all understand what had happened. 'Well, my position was so bad, I didn't stand a chance,' Ron said.

Somewhat similarly the late David Bronstein played in a weekend tournament at Hastings. He drew all 6 games against opponents graded about 170. I asked him why he did that. 'So they can each say that they had drawn with the great David Bronstein.'

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 29, 2015 1:33 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:In all seriousness, I would like to nominate whoever is the lowest-ranked regular player in England.
That depends on your definition, but David C. Wood of Bury St Edmunds probably fits the criteria: he's the lowest-graded player with an A grade.
OK, since I can't get into the ECF grading database I can't check any other contenders and I have to shoot off and catch a ferry shortly, so I'll be pleased to nominate David C Wood.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri May 29, 2015 5:14 pm

David Robertson wrote:How utterly pathetic :roll:
Agreed.

Cheating chess players out of their chance of success and their hard earned cash, then proudly relaying the story on a public forum.

That sir is the behaviour of a tool.

Bobjones

Post by Bobjones » Fri May 29, 2015 8:57 pm

As Match Secretary of the Bury St Edmunds Chess Club, I would like to mention that David Wood is one of our most dedicated and enthusiastic members. He has captained three teams this season, sending out team lists well in advance of each match. He has helped out at the Junior Club (Bury Knights), as well as acting as board steward at our Junior Congress. He is always prepared to volunteer to help. His 'problem' is playing too fast and he promises next season to think longer for each move. He will doubtless see his grade improve (it's currently 20A), but if he achieves 50 in a couple of years he will have done well.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun May 31, 2015 12:18 pm

Somewhat belatedly and deciding against including players from my teams:

Ravi Haria
Koby Kalavannan

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun May 31, 2015 12:26 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Somewhat belatedly and deciding against including players from my teams:

Ravi Haria
Koby Kalavannan

I’ve played both of them - though it was a few years ago in the case of Ravi Haria.

Koby Kalavannan was my opponent in the 'board next to' anecdote that led to one of my nominations. I was considering nominating him myself.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Sun May 31, 2015 12:53 pm

I would like to nominate Robert Parsons from Hatch End Chess Club. He has been a solid 130 player for many seasons, but this year has surpassed all expectations. As his captain for Hatch End A I have kept track of all results and can state that as well as a massive improvement he is also a bloody nice chap.
Games played for Hatch End 7
Wins 4
Draws 2
Losses 1
Score ratio 71%

Grade 133
Average opponent grade 152
Performance 173

He is twice running our club champion, despite not being the strongest player in it.
He also won the 33rd St. Albans Chess Congress @ St.Columba’s College Intermediate U140 section with an impressive 5/5 on March 29th.

And to top it all (I believe) he even had the end of one of his games appear in the national press. (I'm still working out when and trying to get a copy).
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 31, 2015 10:49 pm

Two nominations from me for players from the younger generation: Alan Merry and Isaac Sanders, both of whom made title norms this year (GM and IM respectively).

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:33 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:I was wanting to save myself some work, and this way allows me to use the forum's "poll" function.
A limit of 15 on there at the moment might need increasing.
Indeed; we've had 30 nominations.