English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

Who should be English Chess Forum player of the year?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:33 pm

James Adair
10
4%
Michael Adams
10
4%
Keith Arkell
27
10%
Daniel Bisby
6
2%
Sabrina Chevannes
11
4%
Daniel Fernandez
3
1%
John Gallagher
3
1%
Meri Grigoryan
5
2%
Arul Gupta
2
1%
Ravi Haria
5
2%
Jonathan Hawkins
34
13%
Amy Hoare
8
3%
David Howell
26
10%
Akshaya Kalaiyalahan
11
4%
Koby Kalavannan
3
1%
Chris Kreuzer
7
3%
Don L'Epine
3
1%
Mark Lyell
3
1%
Alan Merry
9
3%
John Nunn
13
5%
Brendan O'Gorman
11
4%
Robert Parsons
3
1%
Stewart Reuben
4
2%
David Robertson
3
1%
Chris Ross
5
2%
Isaac Sanders
4
2%
Nigel Short
11
4%
Lawrence Trent
4
2%
Matthew Webb
14
5%
David C. Wood
8
3%
 
Total votes: 266

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 3956
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:33 pm

OK, here it is. The forum's poll for English Chess Forum player of the year, with nominations as chosen by you in this thread.

This will be a poll conducted using Approval Voting; you may vote for as many candidates as you like, and the candidate with the most votes wins.

This poll will be open until the end of June.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5756
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Hawkins leading surprises me a little.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul Dargan
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Paul Dargan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Really Carl? Maybe a bit mainstream for the conversation on the forum so far ... but effectively self-taught to GM and winning the British ... starting with what was it 6/6 in the first week, then coasting in with 5 draws, when he was probably better with Black when he agreed draws with Hebden, Howell and Pert? in the last round. His win v's Marin and GM norm at IoW ... not saying there arent many other worthy candidates and I 'approved' quite a lot in this new voting scheme ... but I think the Hawk's are obvious, well publicised and of the level people would feel should be recognised ... so I always had him to be in the Top3.

I'm not his campaign manager - though I do feel a Northern affinity, even if he has legged-it down South these days.

Paul

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5756
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Paul Dargan wrote:Really Carl? Maybe a bit mainstream for the conversation on the forum so far ... but effectively self-taught to GM and winning the British ... starting with what was it 6/6 in the first week, then coasting in with 5 draws, when he was probably better with Black when he agreed draws with Hebden, Howell and Pert? in the last round. His win v's Marin and GM norm at IoW ... not saying there arent many other worthy candidates and I 'approved' quite a lot in this new voting scheme ... but I think the Hawk's are obvious, well publicised and of the level people would feel should be recognised ... so I always had him to be in the Top3.

I'm not his campaign manager - though I do feel a Northern affinity, even if he has legged-it down South these days.

Paul
No he would be a really deserving winner I just felt Howell would walk it but perhaps not.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul Dargan
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Paul Dargan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:27 am

Cheddleton for club of the year perhaps with the top 3 so far ...

Alan Walton
Posts: 1249
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Alan Walton » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:41 am

Paul Dargan wrote:Cheddleton for club of the year perhaps with the top 3 so far ...
I would say team of the year, considering they only really play 4NCL for them

Paul Dargan
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Paul Dargan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:19 am

Of the three of them, only really Keith posts on here ... I guess the other two are so well known they get votes automatically.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5104
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:27 am

We seem to have stalled on 198 votes so I'm hoping sending this thread back to the top of the list might encourage a few more to vote.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5756
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:42 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:We seem to have stalled on 198 votes so I'm hoping sending this thread back to the top of the list might encourage a few more to vote.
It is only members of the forum so be interesting to see the final count.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mick Norris
Posts: 7605
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:03 am

I assume the total is number of votes, rather than number of voters which would be a more interesting stat (given we can vote for as many, or few, players as we like)
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 3956
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:40 pm

The total is number of votes, yes. Number of voters would indeed be a more interesting stat.

Paul Douglass
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:47 am

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Paul Douglass » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:18 pm

Voted for Keith Arkell, Jonathan Hawkins, David Howell and Brendan O'Gorman.

Keith - fantastic ambassador for English Chess and still going strong after all these years!
The Hawk due to a meteoric rise without any support the ECF.
David Howell in getting ever so close to the 2700 mark.
Brendan O'Gorman in playing a fantastic amount of chess (supporting the various events) in country and the lovely photos of the venues and players. Superb dedication.

A really good post on the forum. A pity Ray Keene wasn't any of the options as I might have also voted for him.
Paul Douglass

"Every time I win a tournament I have to think that there is something wrong with modern chess." - Victor Korchnoi

Mike Truran
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:10 am

I thought it more than a little ironic that Carl, despite many vociferous (and justified) comments about censorship in the other place, has seen fit, apparently after a complaint from a forumite, to remove the two YouTube Hitler parodies with neither prior consultation nor subsequent notification.

I have agreed with Carl that I should raise the matter publicly, as there seems to me to be an important point of principle here.

Double standards? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Paul Dargan
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:20 am

I did think I'd seen the link here - but found it through the OPs facebook page again anyway ...

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2160
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:14 am

Mike Truran wrote:I thought it more than a little ironic that Carl, despite many vociferous (and justified) comments about censorship in the other place, has seen fit, apparently after a complaint from a forumite, to remove the two YouTube Hitler parodies with neither prior consultation nor subsequent notification.
I'm curious to know what the nature of the complaint was, particularly when they were only links to material on other websites, not something that was hosted here.

Post Reply