Giant Bishops

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Giant Bishops

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:31 am

Hello all, some friends are playing in Teplice, CZ this weekend. One, who played there last year drew my attention to an oddity regarding the sets they use (see attached image). The kings are giant bishops
phoca_thumb_l_p1000338.jpg
phoca_thumb_l_p1000338.jpg (75.29 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
Why don't people stick to Staunton sets? Would a player have grounds for complaint if he moved his king like a bishop and lost the game due to an illegal move? I'm sure someone must have in time trouble.

Niall Doran

Re: Giant Bishops

Post by Niall Doran » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:43 pm

That’s horrible! I’d be well annoyed at paying for flights and accommodation only to find myself playing with non-standard pieces.
Do the rules of chess have anything to say about the height, shape etc of chess pieces?

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Qb6+, Kxb6!

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:32 pm

Niall Doran wrote:Do the rules of chess have anything to say about the height, shape etc of chess pieces?
Nothing at all, as far as I can see. There's a picture of some Staunton pieces at the end of Article 2.2 (http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article), but no requirement to use them. It does make you wonder what would happen if a team turned up for a league match to find a Lord of the Rings set on Board 1, a Star Trek set on Board 2, a Harry Potter set on Board 3 and so on.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:52 pm

Can still remember trying to play outdoors chess on a set York were given by (I believe) Munster. A giant wooden set in a very interesting sort of abstract design to look at. To play with? Thoroughly painful.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Isn't it simply that said design *is* common in that part of the world?

I've certainly seen pics of pieces like that in E European tournaments before.......

(after all it is a modification of the "standard" Staunton template, not something completely bizarre and new)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:41 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:
Niall Doran wrote:Do the rules of chess have anything to say about the height, shape etc of chess pieces?
Nothing at all, as far as I can see. There's a picture of some Staunton pieces at the end of Article 2.2 (http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article), but no requirement to use them. It does make you wonder what would happen if a team turned up for a league match to find a Lord of the Rings set on Board 1, a Star Trek set on Board 2, a Harry Potter set on Board 3 and so on.
That would be interesting to see.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:06 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Isn't it simply that said design * is* common in that part of the world ?

I think it is, as I have a chess set given to me by someone who bought it while on holiday in Russia and the king is of that design.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:46 am

They can be quite beautiful, these Eastern chess sets.

I found this a very interesting article: http://www.bestchessmenever.com/blog/fi ... s-set.html

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:31 am

Ian Kingston wrote:
You got the job
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:03 pm

So to clarify, there is no ruling on the type of set used in tournaments? Also, some players like to use their own board too. If it has light and dark squares, then is there any ruling over that. I used to know someone who always wanted to play with his own board, on which the dark squares were red and the light squares were white. Many people didn't want to use his board but were too polite to say so.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:06 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Isn't it simply that said design * is* common in that part of the world ?

I think it is, as I have a chess set given to me by someone who bought it while on holiday in Russia and the king is of that design.
When I lived in Azerbaijan they also played with such sets. I think in communist days they removed the religious aspect from the pieces. I don't know if they did that before that. Someone else might.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:26 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Ian Kingston wrote:
You got the job
If it were the last match of the season and the result didn't matter, it would be very tempting.

Standard sets would be brought out once the opposition had got over the shock. I'm not mad enough to play with a set that requires notation like 'Star Fleet Redshirt takes Klingon Warrior'.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:31 pm

MJMcCready wrote:So to clarify, there is no ruling on the type of set used in tournaments?
There are guidelines here, but I think they only apply to official FIDE events, not events that are just FIDE-rated.
MJMcCready wrote:Also, some players like to use their own board too. If it has light and dark squares, then is there any ruling over that. I used to know someone who always wanted to play with his own board, on which the dark squares were red and the light squares were white.
In America, where providing your own equipment is common, I once had an opponent who provided a board covered in graffiti (although my opponent probably considered it to be a prized board with many squares containing the signatures of well-known American players).

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Why doesn't that surprise me?