Money for old rope...........

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Money for old rope...........

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:31 pm

For those of you who enjoy GMs being tested in local league chess :

Check this out http://www.berkshirechess.org.uk/match_ ... n=20082009 :lol:

I'm sure it was worth the cash for Peter and Simon in this epic encounter.... :D

I can hear the "Kerr Ching" of the cash register from here!
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Turner

Re: Money for old rope...........

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:49 pm

Well, I suppose they did at least turn up and did the job they had been contracted to do. This is more than some people manage.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:51 am

Talking of not turning up - what's the story on the three defaults?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:06 am

JustinHorton wrote:Talking of not turning up - what's the story on the three defaults?
Bracknell is the weakest and smallest club in the Berkshire League. They struggle to find a full team at any time. I'm sure Sandhurst were just "making sure" with their choice of GMs. They could have bused in Gavin Wall and Graeme Buckley before they would have been forced to resort to normal, unpaid club members.

J.
Last edited by John Upham on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:23 am

I cant believe Luke didnt ask me to play in this, I would have shown up for Bracknell. O well

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:57 am

Ben Purton wrote:I cant believe Luke didnt ask me to play in this, I would have shown up for Bracknell. O well

Ben
Ben,

I don't think Luke has much to do with player selection these days. SImon Sellick does most of the work for Bracknell. I was expecting you to play for Newbury this season as you did last season versus Maidenhead.

http://www.berkshirechess.org.uk/player ... n=20082009

Nice hat!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Can someone talk me through the average grade calculation for Bracknell? I hope the opponents of the GMs enjoyed the games....
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Can someone talk me through the average grade calculation for Bracknell? I hope the opponents of the GMs enjoyed the games....

A deliberate error on my part! I need to remove Mr. Walk Over, Mr. Dee Fault and AN Other from the mean rating calculation!

Its on the shopping list for the next upgrade along with a number of other bug fixes.

Simon emailed me this am to report that Peter told Simon that their game was Peters toughest in the Berkshire League this year!

I didn't feel like commenting.... :lol:

J.

Simon Williams

Post by Simon Williams » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Enough is enough, I don’t really see what Upham is trying to achieve from his rather bitter comments. It seems to me that a high level of jealously and resentment is seeping through to a team that has super seeded the one he is captain at.

For a start is Upham trying to say that once a chess player has reached a certain standard (GM in this case) he should not be allowed to play any more? That’s ridiculous, can you imagine Rooney O’Sullivan being banned from playing snooker because he was too good!

Or is he trying to say that a professional player should not receive any money for playing? Another ridiculous statement. I am not sure what this Upham guy does as a job but does he refuse his monthly paycheck? I rather doubt it.

It is hard enough being a professional without having to deal with the retarded statements of a bitter old man. Chess should be promoted in this country not demoted. No wonder chess has not received any big sponsorship deals recently. Will chess ever receive any if the top players get ridiculed for playing?

Alec who runs Sandhurst is doing a great job of promoting chess. For example Alec runs two great events each month, a pizza/coaching night and a Krispy Kream night, this is a night where juniors (normally 20+) can enjoy playing chess with a treat, there are also cash prizes. The club does not receive anything for this selfless act but the juniors greatly enjoy it and it is a great way for them to interact with us the ‘Kerr Ching’ players.

I live 15 minutes away from the venue and Nick Pert is the same; it is a chance for us to meet up and play some chess but I am sure if Upham had his way he would like to ban us from ever playing anywhere near ‘his’ team again.

And what’s this about Upham’s team only putting 5 weak players out for an 8-board match, without even mentioning it to the other team. I believe similar things have happened on a couple of occasions. Now tell me that is not an act of a bitter captain. Please don’t throw your toys out of the pram next time, try to at least behave like a gentleman.

http://www.gingergm.com

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:29 pm

:lol: Some heavy Ownage there.

Ben
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:53 pm

I will assume John had his tongue firmly in cheek with his comments about GMs turning out in local leagues. I don't see a problem - one issue might be if weaker members of Sandhurst or whoever could not get into the team, but I imagine they must have a reasonable 2nd team, or failing that they could always go down the road and play for Bracknell...

The saddest thing about reading this thread was to learn what has become of that famous old institution, Bracknell Chess Club, which I will admit to playing for many years ago...

Nick Thomas

Post by Nick Thomas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:57 pm

Simon Williams wrote:Enough is enough, I don’t really see what Upham is trying to achieve from his rather bitter comments. It seems to me that a high level of jealously and resentment is seeping through to a team that has super seeded the one he is captain at.

For a start is Upham trying to say that once a chess player has reached a certain standard (GM in this case) he should not be allowed to play any more? That’s ridiculous, can you imagine Rooney O’Sullivan being banned from playing snooker because he was too good!

Or is he trying to say that a professional player should not receive any money for playing? Another ridiculous statement. I am not sure what this Upham guy does as a job but does he refuse his monthly paycheck? I rather doubt it.

It is hard enough being a professional without having to deal with the retarded statements of a bitter old man. Chess should be promoted in this country not demoted. No wonder chess has not received any big sponsorship deals recently. Will chess ever receive any if the top players get ridiculed for playing?

Alec who runs Sandhurst is doing a great job of promoting chess. For example Alec runs two great events each month, a pizza/coaching night and a Krispy Kream night, this is a night where juniors (normally 20+) can enjoy playing chess with a treat, there are also cash prizes. The club does not receive anything for this selfless act but the juniors greatly enjoy it and it is a great way for them to interact with us the ‘Kerr Ching’ players.

I live 15 minutes away from the venue and Nick Pert is the same; it is a chance for us to meet up and play some chess but I am sure if Upham had his way he would like to ban us from ever playing anywhere near ‘his’ team again.

And what’s this about Upham’s team only putting 5 weak players out for an 8-board match, without even mentioning it to the other team. I believe similar things have happened on a couple of occasions. Now tell me that is not an act of a bitter captain. Please don’t throw your toys out of the pram next time, try to at least behave like a gentleman.

http://www.gingergm.com
Crikey :shock: Welcome to the forum :!: :!:

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:55 am

Simon Williams wrote:It is hard enough being a professional without having to deal with the retarded statements of a bitter old man....... Please don’t throw your toys out of the pram next time, try to at least behave like a gentleman.

There is an interesting debate to be had about the pros and cons of professionals appearing in local leagues, but this isn't it.

(There is, however, one on about pages 3-5 of the Abusive UK Chess Sites thread...)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:56 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Simon Williams wrote:It is hard enough being a professional without having to deal with the retarded statements of a bitter old man....... Please don’t throw your toys out of the pram next time, try to at least behave like a gentleman.
(There is, however, one on about pages 3-5 of the Abusive UK Chess Sites thread...)
I will be keeping a close eye on this yes :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:32 am

I think GM's in division 1 of Berkshire league are a good thing. I've been in and around the Berkshire league since I was 9 years old.

Ben