A horrible way to get relegated

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
William Metcalfe

A horrible way to get relegated

Post by William Metcalfe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:09 am

Last week my team was playing its penultimate league game we are our clubs second team so were obv going to struggle in the A division after our promotion last season especially given the grades of my players compared to the establshed teams.We had battled hard all season long and if we could manage to win out last two matches we would stay up we were playing away so after a 50 min journey we arrive at our destination we start playing then 2 hours into a 3 hour playing session a security guard comes into the room and kicks us out the host club had forgotton to book the playing venue till 10 oclock as 3 games were deceided and two not the league have taken the 2 none finished games as draws and the finished games will stand so we lost 3 2 to rub salt into the wounds we won our final game tonight.I think last weeks game should be replayed as we were deprived off a opportunity to acually play the game out what do others here think the ruling should be
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Jonathan Bryant

Re: A horrible way to get relegated

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:03 am

William Metcalfe wrote:... the league have taken the 2 none finished games as draws and the finished games will stand so we lost 3 2 to rub salt into the wounds we won our final game tonight.I think last weeks game should be replayed ....
I don't see why your team should have to travel twice (unless you want to for some reason).

To my eyes this looks clear cut. A home club doesn't organise the match properly such that it isn't finished then the games should be awarded to the away club.

I see no justification for a replay (again - unless your club happens to want one) and don't understand the logic behind the games being declared drawn.

Can you appeal?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Based on what has been said, depending on the degree of incompetence by the home club, the match (or unfinished games) should either be awarded to the visiting side or the whole match replayed but the original home side has to travel. I would be asking the league organiser some questions as well.

I have experience of double bookings etc, so won't criticise the home side without hearing their side of the story. At a previous venue for Redhill, loads of people suddenly rushed in to the room at about 9pm and told us that there was "no chess club this week", which led to an interesting argument! (Luckily there was no match that week but there could have been...)

Kevin
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Was this the Bristol league?

Thats the detroit lions of chess leagues.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

William Metcalfe

Post by William Metcalfe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:53 pm

After discussions tonight the match is going to be replayed at a neutral venue.This is what i proposed to the league organiser as i would prefer to acually play the match over the board that way if we happen to win we stay up on merit and not because we were given 2 points plus nobody has any grounds for complaint then as they will be relegated because they scored less points than us over the season
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:15 am

"Was this the Bristol league?"

If he commutes from Darlington to Bristol for league matches, he deserves to win!

I'm glad a sensible compromise has been reached...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:12 am

I do commute far to play Bristol league....I dont know why I bother as if we win it doesnt matter because the next week half the league will default leaving it all tied again
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.