British 2015 Round by Round

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: British 2015 Round by Round

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:16 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:She couldn't be paired against Storey or Cooper because she has already played them.

I have a feeling that Akshaya may join my position of thinking that CMs should count as half a titled player for norm purposes. :D
Opps, sorry. As to the CMs, they will not figure in title norms while the present QC has anything to do with it. The latest Oceania zonal has just produced another 38 of them.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Of course, as Coleman, Waters, Mason, Wadsworth and Weaving are all over 2100, there's nothing in the FIDE rules to have prevented them from claiming the WFM title, which would also have been enough. C'est la vie.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:29 pm

My predictions today:

Pert 0.5-0.5 Hawkins
Gormally 0.5- 0.5 Emms
Howell 1-0 Arkell
Jackson 1-0 Williams
Flear 1-0 Hill
Pert 0.5- 0.5 Batchelor
Hebden 1-0 Lewis
Ward 1-0 Storey
Summerscale 1-0 Taylor
Shaw 0.5- 0.5 Cooper

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:31 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Of course, as Coleman, Waters, Mason, Wadsworth and Weaving are all over 2100, there's nothing in the FIDE rules to have prevented them from claiming the WFM title, which would also have been enough. C'est la vie.
For those unaware of this running joke, the idea of male players claiming a female title is of course controversial.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Alistair Hill is doing rather well, it seems. Er, anyone know the first thing about him?!

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:37 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:... I have a feeling that Akshaya may join my position of thinking that CMs should count as half a titled player for norm purposes. :D
Can somebody please explain about this FIDE CM thing (perhaps in a different thread under International)? Is it a real title? Is it still being awarded?
I only found out about it when I started playing OTB tournaments again quite recently and found some players listed as "CM". Apparently the qualification is having been named on a FIDE list above 2200 at some time or other (which I was for many years in the 1980s until I became inactive). But I couldn't see any details on the FIDE website for how to apply and when I tried to contact the Irish Chess Union secretary asking whether an application could be submitted for me, they didn't bother to reply. If the title is still being awarded, I may try again a bit harder.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Also if anybody knows what MK is in FIDE title terms, I'd be obliged
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Alistair Hill is doing rather well, it seems. Er, anyone know the first thing about him?!
Met him in the Isle of Man last year. Plays for Battersea in the London League, plays poker (or did) at least semi-professionally, likes pizza, nice guy :)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Simon Ansell wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Alistair Hill is doing rather well, it seems. Er, anyone know the first thing about him?!
Met him in the Isle of Man last year. Plays for Battersea in the London League, plays poker (or did) at least semi-professionally, likes pizza, nice guy :)
Perhaps we should all be rooting for him then 8)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:16 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Also if anybody knows what MK is in FIDE title terms, I'd be obliged
?

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:23 pm

@ Tim - the CM title is a 'real thing' - you are right the only requirement is rating >2200 at some point. I had always said there was no point and that the title really should be called "I accept I'm never likley to be over 2300 and able to claim a real title" - then I found out that having a CM title gets you Freee access to everything on chess.com - which at the time I was using quite a lot while livingin the Middle East ... so I bothered to claim it.

I know a few others on chess.com who were persuaded by the same logic. And of course for those not in the know a title is a title - but in this company I'm suitably embarassed at having claimed it.

Paul Dargan

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:... I have a feeling that Akshaya may join my position of thinking that CMs should count as half a titled player for norm purposes. :D
Can somebody please explain about this FIDE CM thing (perhaps in a different thread under International)? Is it a real title? Is it still being awarded?
I only found out about it when I started playing OTB tournaments again quite recently and found some players listed as "CM". Apparently the qualification is having been named on a FIDE list above 2200 at some time or other (which I was for many years in the 1980s until I became inactive). But I couldn't see any details on the FIDE website for how to apply and when I tried to contact the Irish Chess Union secretary asking whether an application could be submitted for me, they didn't bother to reply. If the title is still being awarded, I may try again a bit harder.
Details of all FIDE titles are easily found in the Handbook. Your federation will be able to claim the CM title for you, if you can attract their attention.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Paul Dargan wrote:@ Tim - the CM title is a 'real thing' - you are right the only requirement is rating >2200 at some point. I had always said there was no point and that the title really should be called "I accept I'm never likley to be over 2300 and able to claim a real title" - then I found out that having a CM title gets you Freee access to everything on chess.com - which at the time I was using quite a lot while livingin the Middle East ... so I bothered to claim it.

I know a few others on chess.com who were persuaded by the same logic. And of course for those not in the know a title is a title - but in this company I'm suitably embarassed at having claimed it.
Thanks for the info Paul. Here in Ireland there are relatively few FMs and CMs, let alone IMs (and just one GM), so I may put in for it. Do you know the procedure and is there a loadsamoney fee to fatten Kirsan's numbered Swiss bank account?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:32 pm

Simon Ansell wrote:
I played him twice last season (1 win each) - agree he seemed like a nice guy.

From our first game - White to play, does Rxh5 work?