So who's going to the British Chess Championships?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Gilbert

Re: So who's going to the British Chess Championships?

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:45 pm

I revive this topic occasionally. Only three weeks to go!

Fantastic news that Stuart Conquest will defend his title at Torquay. Competition is hotting-up. Too bad the Scots have lost their appretite to do battle with the English, Irish and a German......and now an Indian, Israili and Zambian too. Exactly how did they qualify? Interesting to see Craig Hanley by-passes the main event for a shot at the 5-Day AM and PM Opens during the first week. Presumambly Craig can’t do the whole fortnight. There’ll be a stream of cira100 rated players ready to throw themselves onto pointed sticks to sit down opposite IM Craig. Reckon he’s quaking in his boots right now? No!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:51 pm

David Gilbert wrote:Too bad the Scots have lost their appretite to do battle with the English, Irish and a German......and now an Indian, Israili and Zambian too. Exactly how did they qualify?
I don't know about the Israeli and the Zambian, but the Indian qualified as a woman with a rating of 2120 or higher. Presumably all these people with unusual nationalities are eligible to play for more than one country.

(We could have another round of this argument, should anyone be interested.)

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:34 pm

Israel is unique country....considering its only excisted in its essence for 60 years. Theres a 1991 ruling that allows any Jew to be Israeli in terms of olympics. Thomas Eden However was just born there and has been here since. after all you only have to go to university here to be english in chess.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:55 pm

I thought the ECF had got over their 'open borders' policy. Sadly not- but it's not as bad as Scarborough for instance. The English under 9s won't have to play too many Indians!

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:06 pm

I've seen the Indian lady in question playing county chess for Herts for a couple of years or so now so presumably she's been resident here for quite a while.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Does anyone know anything about the Zambian?

Fide rating, ECF 2008 grading, British database, International database, TWICs all draw a blank. Google identifies a player of that name in a 1999 event in Uganda but that's as far as it goes.

Knowing where or how he qualified would be an advantage.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:51 pm

He's in the ecf master list as playing for Durham, but no official grade as you say...

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:16 pm

Kalonga Mumba has played for Durham City Bishops this year. He had a draw on board 2 against Douglas Smith (ECF 137) back in April and there's a record of two club championship games, one win (against an ungraded player) and a loss by default (to an ECF127 player). I did find a game he had played - a draw - but it seems to have vanished!

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:00 am

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5553

...........................*shakes head*
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Ben Purton wrote:http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5553

...........................*shakes head*
Why were you shaking your head....?

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:28 pm

Well......Read it........"Has the right to play for England because of British passport" so basically what we are saying is Scotland, Wales etc are lesser nations than us, because Britain is defined as one state which owns the others, which is not the case. It clearly states her national hertitage and also living background, none of which appears to qualify for England, even with the pathetic new laws. As far as I am aware shes ellgible for Scotland and Not England.

Ben

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:27 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Well......Read it........"Has the right to play for England because of British passport" so basically what we are saying is Scotland, Wales etc are lesser nations than us, because Britain is defined as one state which owns the others, which is not the case. It clearly states her national hertitage and also living background, none of which appears to qualify for England, even with the pathetic new laws. As far as I am aware shes ellgible for Scotland and Not England.

Ben
I take similar issue with the counties. I was informed that if you play in the Birmingham League, you can play for Warwickshire. This means that if you live in, for example, Halesowen, which has been in Worcestershire since the Domesday Book, you are eligible to play for Warwickshire too, so long as you play for a club in the Birmingham League. It's stupid, in my opinion.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:08 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Well......Read it........"Has the right to play for England because of British passport" so basically what we are saying is Scotland, Wales etc are lesser nations than us, because Britain is defined as one state which owns the others, which is not the case. It clearly states her national hertitage and also living background, none of which appears to qualify for England, even with the pathetic new laws. As far as I am aware shes ellgible for Scotland and Not England.

Ben

I thought that might be the case... glad you weren't shaking your head for any other reason.

V tricky case of whether someone born in Hong Kong should be allowed to play for Britain or England or not.

Personally... when they were part of the empire I think they definitely should be allowed to play for Britain. Now that they're owned by the Chinese, I don't think they should.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: I take similar issue with the counties. I was informed that if you play in the Birmingham League, you can play for Warwickshire. This means that if you live in, for example, Halesowen, which has been in Worcestershire since the Domesday Book, you are eligible to play for Warwickshire too, so long as you play for a club in the Birmingham League. It's stupid, in my opinion.
I think it's a sensible rule. The consequence of it is that people who play in a county's league can play for that county, and therefore alongside the people they play every week in league chess. (I've made use of it in the past to call up Gillingham & Shaftesbury players for the Somerset team.)

Andy Burnett

Post by Andy Burnett » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Mark Howitt wrote:

Ben

I thought that might be the case... glad you weren't shaking your head for any other reason.

V tricky case of whether someone born in Hong Kong should be allowed to play for Britain or England or not.

Personally... when they were part of the empire I think they definitely should be allowed to play for Britain. Now that they're owned by the Chinese, I don't think they should.
"Today she represents England, which is normal, since she has a British passport".

Isn't this just one of those typical mistakes on the part of the interviewer/writer?!
No-one has a 'British' passport, or an English one, or Scottish etc. - we have U.K. passports, and the one I have wouldn't allow me to play for anyone other than Scotland unless I could claim on grounds of birth/(grand)parentage/residency.

Are the ECF rules different?
Has Corke ever represented England (or any country/state/whatever other than Hong Kong)?