Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Zigmond

Re: Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Firstly I have made an edit to my post above. `Load` was not particularly grammatical to start with (I was typing quickly having just got back from a nine hour shift) although I'm not sure termitic is an actual word. For those who remember a certain blog, it's worth noting that the self styled anteater in chief was one of CJ's most trenchant critics.

Slightly more seriously, I take Michael's point that there is little point in raking over old disputes. However CJ de Mooi, for all his faults, did do a lot for the federation - not least raising the money that made Sheffield 2011 the strongest British championship in the past decade. Even after what happened at the end of that event there was still a strong view, particularly from titled players, that somebody who could bring publicity and investment to the game had been driven out by an unrepresentative minority. This argument would, of course, rear its head again.

In a parallel universe where CJ avoided the controversy at Sheffield we can only speculate on how long he might have remained President. That's my point.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:40 pm

All words in the English laguage were first used by some inventive individual.
If 'termitic' was not an English word yesterday, then it is today.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:...

In a parallel universe where CJ avoided the controversy at Sheffield we can only speculate on how long he might have remained President. That's my point.
So Andrew was not being ironic!

Well, here's my "speculation", based not only on his behaviour at Sheffield but also the various ways in which to tried to evade responsibility for the consequences: if CJ hadn't done anything stupid at Sheffield, he'd soon have done something else which demonstrated his unsuitability.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:59 pm

1/ Personal view - [but I know many who have said much more- especially friends and officials present] -- the arbiters did a good job in a difficult situation at Sheffield - a well done.
2/ Next. What leagues did de Mooi play in, which clubs, on the Grand Prix circuit? County? Junior chess titles, or contender of? again candidates should have been on the chess scene and active. It is hard to think of one who was not into chess and a often seen person at chess clubs and events.
3/ I also think "establishment" candidate is incorrect. But whose candidate was he?
4/ Agree, it is good he is not currently on the Council, or still the President.
5/ If the extradition warrant is upheld, the Dutch give very fair trials. Some legal officials are ex chess masters- at least one a GM. The press will fully cover the case over there, it will be easy to follow in this country(I have lived in Holland- very high integrity is a noticeable feature). (side point: The international court is not in the Hague for nothing) - rgds GK.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:00 pm

Dragoljub Sudar wrote:I prefer 'a dedicated group of thoroughly decent volunteers' who deserve our appreciation for their support of British chess over the years.
I thought this was the post that prompted David Sedgwick's comment about my being ironic. I would agree entirely with Dragoljub's description of the people who make chess in this country happen although CJ and supporters would have taken a different view four years ago and a clique of ousted board members take that view now.

I agree with Jonathan Rogers that CJ would probably have come a cropper at some later stage but only a year separated his Presidency from that of Andrew Paulson.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Gary Kenworthy wrote: 2/ Next. What leagues did de Mooi play in, which clubs, on the Grand Prix circuit? County? Junior chess titles, or contender of? again candidates should have been on the chess scene and active. It is hard to think of one who was not into chess and a often seen person at chess clubs and events.
He used to play a lot in the early 2000s, playing at almost every Golders Green rapidplay. He would usually play in the second section, so was a 160s standard player. He later claimed to have been the most active player in the country and withdrew from the Grand Prix whilst leading his section in protest at the then sponsor Onyx. These claims were taken at face value when he ran for President. There was however a post on this forum casting doubt on both claims, which had validity as coming from one of his rivals for the Grand Prix. At that time the ECF grading website was configured so that it showed the total number of games played in past seasons. CJ's game count was high, but several players exceeded his count, but quite a long way for some of them. Being the most active player in the country is a claim that could be made and wouldn't be challenged on the Today programme, but grading lists have on-line histories.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Gary Kenworthy wrote: 2/ Next. What leagues did de Mooi play in, which clubs, on the Grand Prix circuit? County? Junior chess titles, or contender of? again candidates should have been on the chess scene and active. It is hard to think of one who was not into chess and a often seen person at chess clubs and events.
3/ I also think "establishment" candidate is incorrect. But whose candidate was he?
He was a very active player at one stage. His boast that he was the most active player in the country at one point did not hold up to scrutiny but he was a congress regular and a stronger player than many contributors here (including myself) could ever hope to be.

Maybe establishment wasn't the right word. By `establishment` I had in mind titled players who want the ECF run by serious players whose priority would be to obtain sponsorship that can be invested in getting the top players to the British, send the strongest possible team to the Olympiad and generally increase the amount of prize money available to professional players. This contrasts with grassroots players whose interest is in the amateur game and would prefer to elect a board that would really be a glorified county association committee.
5/ If the extradition warrant is upheld, the Dutch give very fair trials. Some legal officials are ex chess masters- at least one a GM. The press will fully cover the case over there, it will be easy to follow in this country(I have lived in Holland- very high integrity is a noticeable feature). (side point: The international court is not in the Hague for nothing) - rgds GK.
Interestingly I believe a well known English chess fugitive was last heard of in the Netherlands.

NOTE - my post crossed with Roger's, hence some duplication of information.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Thank you Roger and Andrew, so he did actively participate. Thanks also for the details.
Thanks again re-defining "establishment". Sponsorship (Money) is always a driver. Money causes problems in chess, as there is so little. ditto Andrew Paulson.

The Dutch will consider very seriously self-defence, it needs to be taken into account that he could get off. Maybe a lesser charge is possible. That is up to the legal processes. Please be aware before posting.

BTW Steve Davis could be seen at the Romford club, he played evening league for Romford II, in the Essex League. Amongst other events. So involved in true "grass roots" chess.

True On ""a well know English chess fugitive was last heard of in the Netherlands".. Last seen on the BBC on crimewatch. He was spotted by various English players. One was a GM who twice went to the police. First time - a bad response (not saying what was said). Second time pointing that there was an European arrest warrant for him. A member of the club in N Amsterdam (Joordan district) is believed to have tipped him off. When the police turned up he had gone. (He also had been spotted earlier in Europe, in another country). The clues are probably to follow wrecked chess associations.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:24 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:...

So Andrew was not being ironic!

Well, here's my "speculation", based not only on his behaviour at Sheffield but also the various ways in which to tried to evade responsibility for the consequences: if CJ hadn't done anything stupid at Sheffield, he'd soon have done something else which demonstrated his unsuitability.
And indeed had already done so
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Gary Kenworthy wrote:
True On ""a well know English chess fugitive was last heard of in the Netherlands".. Last seen on the BBC on crimewatch. He was spotted by various English players. One was a GM who twice went to the police. First time - a bad response (not saying what was said). Second time pointing that there was an European arrest warrant for him. A member of the club in N Amsterdam (Joordan district) is believed to have tipped him off. When the police turned up he had gone. (He also had been spotted earlier in Europe, in another country). The clues are probably to follow wrecked chess associations.
Why isnt Brian Eley being named? Oh wait he deserves anonymity. But doesn't CJ too? I hate the legal system.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:15 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote: Oh wait he deserves anonymity. But doesn't CJ too? I hate the legal system.
For pity's sake give it a rest. People wishing to stay away from the glare of publicity don't write autobiographies in which they claim to have committed murders.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:18 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote: Oh wait he deserves anonymity. But doesn't CJ too? I hate the legal system.
For pity's sake give it a rest. Please wishing to stay away from the glare of publicity don't write autobiographies in which they claim to have committed murders.
its the principle apart from anything else.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:47 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Please wishing to stay away from the glare of publicity don't write autobiographies in which they claim to have committed murders.
It would appear that the Amsterdam police have a real life counterpart to a fictional TV series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t0qx

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:49 pm

The full name is actually Brian Ratcliffe Eley, some said it was Russell. (shades of Booby Fischer's change of name).
I saw Brian R Eley arguing till the cows come home that he had no middle initial and no middle name. He went around getting it expunged (one of his favourite phrases) from all records and tournament boards, pairing cards etc. He made quite a point on that.
Also making sure he was never filmed, not appearing on Yorkshire TV in 1972. Ducked, literally, every camera shot. The picture of him taking the 1972 Championship Trophy away in CHESS is well remembered. (supposedly the last known picture (it is not!).
BTW: At school his nick- name was My Favourite Martian - after the US TV children's show. Some chess organisers really loved that!
Anymore details needed to identify him?
rgds GK

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:03 pm

Well his whereabouts might help
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com