Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Moore

Re: Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Post by John Moore » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:22 pm

John Upham wrote:
John Moore wrote:
Interesting on the Brian Eley photo situation. I think that it was originally intended that there should be photos in the main body of the book on the European Team Championship, Bath 1973, but there is a paste over at the foot of the Contents page. Nothing sinister about that - Batsford probably just changed their minds, possibly on the grounds of cost. But it looks like some of the pictures - of the England team, at least, - migrated to The Chess Players' Bedside Book, published by Batsford in 1975. I have only just sold a copy but I do recall that there was a picture of Brian Eley which is well worth reproducing if somebody has a copy of the book and can scan it.
Did you mean

vintage-photo-of-portrait-of-brian-ratcliffe-eley-colin-davey-876c78d53a5db63b247b96011d64874c.jpg

or

eley.jpg

or

01ASRV0C.jpg

perhaps?

No, none of these, John. The picture in the Batsford book is rather more noticeable, at least I noticed it.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:31 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Um, you shouldn't call it a murder. Nothing has been definitively established yet.
On the contrary, there seems little doubt that Norbert Dichtl was murdered in 1988. The question is, who did it?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:41 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Um, you shouldn't call it a murder. Nothing has been definitively established yet.
On the contrary, there seems little doubt that Norbert Dichtl was murdered in 1988. The question is, who did it?
cj wrote " I punched him so hard in the face".

The reports on Norbert Dichtl state that that he was hit with a blunt instrument on the head, which normally implies the top of the head or possibly the back.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Ray Keene needs to be summoned to crack this extraordinarily important mystery.

http://www.impalapublications.com/cat_GM.php

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:00 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
"Seems little doubt". Sounds like there is still room for doubt. It is the courts of law that establish whether a death was a murder or not. (Other possibilities are unlawful killing, manslaughter, justifiable homicide and so on.)

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Whilst Ray is at it, perhaps he can tell me the winning Lottery numbers for tomorrow.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:15 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
"Seems little doubt". Sounds like there is still room for doubt. It is the courts of law that establish whether a death was a murder or not. (Other possibilities are unlawful killing, manslaughter, justifiable homicide and so on.)
If we are going to introduce doubt, I doubt that we have many (any) experts on the criminal law around and if we do, I doubt that their knowledge extends to the Netherlands, so perhaps we should stick to the facts such as they are known or, better still, look for our copies of The Bedside Book of Chess and the Brian Eley photo.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:21 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:Ray Keene needs to be summoned to crack this extraordinarily important mystery.

http://www.impalapublications.com/cat_GM.php
Ah yes
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:57 pm

CJ writing he thinks he... then gets a charge... is this the basis of the case? Will wait until November for next installment.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Very strange case and if CJ hadn't said anything nothing would have happened one supposes. Perhaps he did just make this whole thing up but as I understand it the Dutch authorities don't know who the alleged victim is yet but there were 12 bodies found in the water at Nieuwe Gracht in 1988. However, there only appears to have been one person, who on 16th June 1988 was found dead in the canal, apparently from injuries consistent with a blunt instrument to the head. That's why a number of Dutch journalists who were probably following the police investigation at the time suspect it was this 36 year old man referred to above.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Very strange case and if CJ hadn't said anything nothing would have happened one supposes. Perhaps he did just make this whole thing up but as I understand it the Dutch authorities don't know who the alleged victim is yet but there were 12 bodies found in the water at Nieuwe Gracht in 1988. However, there only appears to have been one person, who on 16th June 1988 was found dead in the canal, apparently from injuries consistent with a blunt instrument to the head. That's why a number of Dutch journalists who were probably following the police investigation at the time suspect it was this 36 year old man referred to above.
See my post further up this page. Blunt instrument to the head (implies top or back) is not the same as punch to the face.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:Very strange case and if CJ hadn't said anything nothing would have happened one supposes. Perhaps he did just make this whole thing up but as I understand it the Dutch authorities don't know who the alleged victim is yet but there were 12 bodies found in the water at Nieuwe Gracht in 1988. However, there only appears to have been one person, who on 16th June 1988 was found dead in the canal, apparently from injuries consistent with a blunt instrument to the head. That's why a number of Dutch journalists who were probably following the police investigation at the time suspect it was this 36 year old man referred to above.
See my post further up this page. Blunt instrument to the head (implies top or back) is not the same as punch to the face.
Agreed, but that's assuming CJ was telling the truth about how it happened, assuming it did.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:15 pm

The mobile phone is also a tracking device. It has a GPS connection, so we could calculate where in the world someone is.
e.g. in order to bill them correctly. It is highly accurate, e.g.just walking around your garden you can change what is the nearest mast (which might be in a different charging zone). Hence why it is not to be switched off. The co-ordinates are precise, from a remote point of origin in the Southern Pacific. It has other uses, as ISIL well knows, if they are on the their satellite mobiles too long.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:49 pm

Mobile phones were not tracking devices in 1988. As for blunt instrument could it be a large analogue mobile phone?

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:16 pm

terms and conditions from the hearing just held in London (bail conditions). 2016
Also per : how does he play chess with a phone switched on (as per Julie - he aint really playing - so it is a non issue). The phone has to be kept on and charged (no accidental loss of power). as good as a tag - if needed.
Also always contactable, with absolutely no excuses.

Absolutely, nothing to do with a potential weapon or not - of years ago. That is for the courts to decide, on evidence, not this Bboard.