Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joshua Gibbs

Re: Claims by C.J. de Mooi

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:16 pm

Gary Kenworthy wrote: True On ""a well know English chess fugitive was last heard of in the Netherlands".. Last seen on the BBC on crimewatch. He was spotted by various English players. One was a GM who twice went to the police. First time - a bad response (not saying what was said). Second time pointing that there was an European arrest warrant for him. A member of the club in N Amsterdam (Joordan district) is believed to have tipped him off. When the police turned up he had gone. (He also had been spotted earlier in Europe, in another country). The clues are probably to follow wrecked chess associations.
how do you know all this about the GM who went to the police and the player who tipped him off? being accused of pedophilia is awful...

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:16 am

"Interestingly I believe a well known English chess fugitive was last heard of in the Netherlands."

My sources suggest he moved to Thailand after that.

On topic, CJ did not claim he murdered anyone - he said he defended himself, er... quite successfully apparently. The Dutch police may be trying to tie up loose ends, unless they have one or more prosecution witnesses.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:17 am

in NL: The GM is a friend and played in two teams that I captained. Plus fellow players in other teams. He told me personally, plenty more details.
In UK: The police doing a Crime watch broadcast, does rather indicate that they had a very strong case. Scores had provided evidence, but for a long time there was a lack of interest.
I see that King Pin's editor refers to B R Eley as the Jimmy Saville of British Chess. British not Yorkshire, as he had strong connections in N Kent/ S London.
I have heard reliable stories of his later connections and his whereabouts, but that is indirect information, and thus inadmissible.

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:20 am

Morning Kevin,
we have crossed posted.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:31 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote: On topic, CJ did not claim he murdered anyone
Having punched an assailant senseless, is it reasonable to continue the process of self defence by tipping them into a canal, which he claims he did? Anyway, that it for the courts to decide.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:02 am

"Having punched an assailant senseless, is it reasonable to continue the process of self defence by tipping them into a canal, which he claims he did? Anyway, that it for the courts to decide."

Agreed - "reasonable force" is difficult to define!

Gary Kenworthy

Post by Gary Kenworthy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:03 am

It is for the courts to decide.
Very different to the Eley case, on the sheer strength and amount of evidence.(took a long time with Saville- as per Jon Manley).

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:04 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Gary Kenworthy wrote:
5/ If the extradition warrant is upheld, the Dutch give very fair trials. Some legal officials are ex chess masters- at least one a GM. The press will fully cover the case over there, it will be easy to follow in this country(I have lived in Holland- very high integrity is a noticeable feature). (side point: The international court is not in the Hague for nothing) - rgds GK.
Interestingly I believe a well known English chess fugitive was last heard of in the Netherlands.

NOTE - my post crossed with Roger's, hence some duplication of information.
I think we can guess who you mean. I'm sure B.E knows of a good plastic surgeon or two over there in case we have any more chess fugitives turn up.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:06 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Having punched an assailant senseless, is it reasonable to continue the process of self defence by tipping them into a canal, which he claims he did? Anyway, that it for the courts to decide.
Well he says the guy was 'high', which if he was aware of that before he tipped him in the canal, that's murder surely as he must know anyone whose just been smacked in the face a few times and thrown into cold water to swim whilst they are 'high' hasn't got a chance of making it.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:47 am

From over a year ago.

https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search

It says the Amsterdam police would investigate, as it seems they did.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:00 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote: Oh wait he deserves anonymity. But doesn't CJ too? I hate the legal system.
For pity's sake give it a rest. Please wishing to stay away from the glare of publicity don't write autobiographies in which they claim to have committed murders.
It seems a pretty high price to pay for a publicity stunt.

From the article in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... etherlands
[i]The Guardian[/i] wrote: De Mooi was bailed with a security of £5,000 until a full extradition hearing could be held on 28 November. He was also banned from international travel, has to sleep every night at his home address and keep a charged mobile phone with him at all times. A case management hearing has been scheduled for 24 October.
Though having said that, two months before this is resolved isn't too bad.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:55 am

[i]The Guardian[/i] wrote: and keep a charged mobile phone with him at all times.

I assume that this arrangement is an alternative to a tag?

If he removed the SIM and the number went inactive then the authorities would be alerted.

Presumably the 'phone could be left on allowing a visit to the shops or elsewhere.

This is a guess of course.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:58 am

MJMcCready wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Well he says the guy was 'high', which if he was aware of that before he tipped him in the canal, that's murder surely as he must know anyone whose just been smacked in the face a few times and thrown into cold water to swim whilst they are 'high' hasn't got a chance of making it.
Also, you know, if you see somebody drown, I suspect you are supposed to report this to the police
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:00 am

John Upham wrote:
[i]The Guardian[/i] wrote: and keep a charged mobile phone with him at all times.
How is he going to play chess?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:06 am

NickFaulks wrote:
John Upham wrote:
How is he going to play chess?

Many evening leagues do not care about mobile telephone infringements.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D