Disputes with an Associations member or League member

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Reyes

Disputes with an Associations member or League member

Post by John Reyes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:49 pm

Is there anything in the ECF Rules about this?

because there a person i know who need some advice and i did not have the answer for him/her. He/She feel that a member of a association/league has victimised him personal and feel that he/she is being bullied/Prejudice and want some help?

also has proof that this person is doing this and don't know what to do?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Re: Disputes with an Associations member or League member

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:00 pm

John Reyes wrote:Is there anything in the ECF Rules about this?
As you may have noticed, the ECF gets itself into an awful tangle over Codes of Conduct and Complaints procedures. There is no formalised ECF method where one chess player can complain to the ECF about the behaviour of another chess player. Nor should there be.

If a complaint was made to a local club or association, they may in their local rules have means to resolve matters. I would have thought the first step was to record the detail of the complaint.

It's not unknown for complaints to reach the Small Claims Court. Despite accepting the entry and not having a specific restriction for players without current grades, the Blackpool Congress declined to pay the prize money when a technically ungraded player won a grading restricted section.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:01 pm

John - it ought to be a complaint to the association/league & let them follow their rules. Most have reviewed them & even gone as far as changing rules on conduct of players in their competitions.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:34 pm

Don't discuss details in public but take advice in private from those you trust or whose judgement you respect.

I'd have thought that if you were participating in an event as a member of a club team you would be best advised to discuss the matter with your team captain and club secretary.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:06 am

John Reyes wrote:Is there anything in the ECF Rules about this?

because there a person i know who need some advice and i did not have the answer for him/her. He/She feel that a member of a association/league has victimised him personal and feel that he/she is being bullied/Prejudice and want some help?

also has proof that this person is doing this and don't know what to do?
Place the matter before the "association/league". They must be told.

Having said that, there are laws of the land concerning victimisation, "being bullied/Prejudice", etc. And the ECF are not the police.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:03 am

Obviously not knowing the details of the allegations one has to tread carefully.

Before approaching the League or Association, I believe that your captain and club secretary should be made aware of the complaint since as officials of the club they can provide meaningful support and advice.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:45 am

Michael Flatt wrote:Don't discuss details in public but take advice in private from those you trust or whose judgement you respect.
Good advice
Any postings on here represent my personal views