Inspiring a new generation

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Farthing

Inspiring a new generation

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sun May 17, 2009 8:07 pm

I've just spent a great day helping out at the Worcestershire Megafinal in the UK Land Chess Challenge. It was terrific (and in the case of the stronger players, a little terrifying) to see 150 or so kids enthusiastically playing chess.

This year, we had the added treat of Keith Arkell's presence throughout the day. Keith kindly agreed to come along and present the prizes - a job requiring lots of stamina in the smile muscles - but more than that, he spent the whole day at the event, chatting to the competitors and their parents and playing blitz games with all and sundry. All in all, he was a tremendous ambassador for the game.

Fun as it is to grumble about our favourite game, I wanted to take a moment on this forum to record my thanks to Keith for taking time out to do this. It really was appreciated.

Anyone else feel like cheering us up with a good news story, or should I just go back to seething about MPs' expenses?

Matthew Turner

Re: Inspiring a new generation

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon May 18, 2009 8:56 am

Andrew,
I too have just been running a Mega-Final and it s a big success story. Over the 18 years or whatever the event has been going there have been a lot of chess players and they are still out there as largely untapped potential for adult clubs, leagues and tournaments. The UK Chess Challenge's organiser, Mike Basman has always had an (understandable) antipathy towards the ECF, but I notice his latest promo features the ECF's selection tournament and talks about 'Green Shoots of Recovery'. So, yes there is hope and some positive news in English Chess (but perhaps not enough).

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Mon May 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Mike's tournament is our most successful tournament, even more so than 4NCL. Pure fact is it has 70,000 entrants to the British championships 1000.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Tue May 19, 2009 7:32 am

I hope you paid him a decent fee for this! Probably one of the best examples for young chessplayers living in England right now.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks Andrew.

When I saw the natural joy and excitement kids get from playing chess two thoughts hit me very acutely:

The first was what a brilliant game chess is,and how easy it is to forget this when our focus gets too caught up in rating/grading points,prize money,squabblings over chess politics etc etc.

The second,and this was fuelled by some of my conversations with the parents,was how,when so many tv programmes are utter garbage,can we have allowed a situation to come about where there is not a single regular programme being broadcast on our wonderful game.Not even on some obscure Sky channel anywhere.
I hold my hands up and admit I haven't exactly done anything to resolve this problem.Maybe this is our collective weakness as chess players-we sit back and tolerate the intolerable?

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Keith,

John Das at the BBC is the guy to contact.
You should join the Get Chess on UK TV facebook group - http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref= ... 0584573790.
Not much, but it's a start.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:31 am

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:40 am

Justin Hadi wrote:Keith,

John Das at the BBC is the guy to contact.
You should join the Get Chess on UK TV facebook group - http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?ref= ... 0584573790.
Not much, but it's a start.
I have joined too, and invited all my friends too.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion