King & Queen v King & Rook ending

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Kingston

Re: King & Queen v King & Rook ending

Post by Ian Kingston » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:31 pm

In Nunn's Secrets of Pawnless Endings (1994), p. 67 he gives this position as the longest win:

Nunn gives a different line (according to my computer, White has no fewer than 11 equally long wins to choose from at move 5), but it still takes at most 31 moves to win the rook.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:18 pm

i once wondered if 2 knights can hold their own against a Queen because I thought maybe they could defend each other and keep the king nearby.

turns out you can't hold it. Sooner or later you have to move a knight or be checkmated. One knight falls and then the other.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:i once wondered if 2 knights can hold their own against a Queen because I thought maybe they could defend each other and keep the king nearby.

turns out you can't hold it. Sooner or later you have to move a knight or be checkmated. One knight falls and then the other.
I just checked it on Nalimov; it's a draw.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:50 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote: I just checked it on Nalimov; it's a draw.
There are some winning positions. This one, generated by playing around with Shredder

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:55 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:There are some fairly recent instances of super-GMs failing to put this one away, of course.
Like for instance
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:06 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Kevin O'Rourke wrote:i once wondered if 2 knights can hold their own against a Queen because I thought maybe they could defend each other and keep the king nearby.

I just checked it on Nalimov; it's a draw.
so the 2 knighs can hold the draw? nice one. must remember that :)

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:33 am

Q v R:

I remember a chessbase article that spoke about a guy that had done a lot of work on the ending, including a database of key positions. Seem to recall 'rosettes' and other patterns being described.

The guy was called Derek Grimell ... His site seems to have been taken down now though.

The previously metioned Gelfand-Svidler game and commentary.
http://en.chessbase.com/post/can-you-play-this-endgame-

Paul
[Edit: worst spelling and formatting issues fixed]

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:47 pm

There are available databases for all endgames upto and including seven pieces.
The most interesting from my viewpoint as a law maker is K+Q+N v k+r+b + n.
In this position, with optimum player on both sides, White can win on move 545, but makes the first capture on move 512.
White Kd3. Qh1. Nh2. Black Kf4, Ra7, Nh7, Bd1. Black to play, http://chessok.com/?page_id=27966
Of course it falls foul of the 50 Move Rule. The reason I did this research was concerning the nature of that rule. Both players could perfectly reasonably play on and on in an effort to win and neither claim on the 50 move rule. The Laws since 2014 means that the arbiter steps in after 75 moves to declare the game drawn. The reason for this is that, with an increment of 30 seconds, games could go on and on.
We chose 75 in ignorance of the recent database discoveries. Probably aesthetically it should be a higher number, perhaps 100 or 200.

Some years ago there were challenges of Q+R human against K+R computer. GM Walter Browne failed to win the first game. I think it was blitz.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:07 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: Some years ago there were challenges of Q+R human against K+R computer. GM Walter Browne failed to win the first game. I think it was blitz.
I realise that it was probably just a typo but what was the material balance for these challenges please Stewart?

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Oh ok I Googled it, it was K+Q v K+R.

Here is the game that Browne failed to win:-

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1480950

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: The Laws since 2014 means that the arbiter steps in after 75 moves to declare the game drawn. The reason for this is that, with an increment of 30 seconds, games could go on and on.
We chose 75 in ignorance of the recent database discoveries. Probably aesthetically it should be a higher number, perhaps 100 or 200.
You cruel, heartless beast! Don't you think arbiters have a home to go to? With a warm bed waiting?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:05 pm

That is why I didn't suggest 512.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:04 am

Stewart Reuben wrote: We chose 75 in ignorance of the recent database discoveries. Probably aesthetically it should be a higher number, perhaps 100 or 200.
I didn't think that was the point at all. I thought 75 was chosen because it is safely well past 50.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:46 pm

The one time I had it, I couldn’t do it and after messing around for ages, I wound up just taking the Rook with my queen in frustration making it a K vs K draw. I did some studying up on it afterwards, but this was a couple of years ago, not sure I’d be able to win it again now.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Andrew Sainsbury

Post by Andrew Sainsbury » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi All

I have written up the analysis I have done on this ending. Hopefully this is useful to some of you.

Part 1 - Winning from the Philidor Position
http://www.thequietmove.com/queen-v-roo ... -philidor/

Part 2 - Getting to Philidor Position
http://www.thequietmove.com/queen-v-roo ... -philidor/

There's really no short-cut for this, as the ending is complex with best play from the defender. In practice, you may find a nice fork along the way!

Would appreciate any feedback.
Best wishes,
Andrew