good explanation of board count online

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joshua Gibbs

good explanation of board count online

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:13 am

I have a cup game online - my captain told me that board count is very important in the case of a draw.

I think I understand the concept, but interestingly enough I couldn't find a succinct description online - can someone supply me with one?

Roger de Coverly

Re: good explanation of board count online

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:25 am

Joshua Gibbs wrote: I think I understand the concept, but interestingly enough I couldn't find a succinct description online - can someone supply me with one?
It applies to team matches in case of an otherwise drawn match. You add up the boards where your team won and compare it to those where the opposition won.

As an example, consider a six board match. Your team wins on boards 2,3 and 5 totalling 10. Their team wins on 1,4 and 6 totalling 11. You win if board count is the tie break.

It's a long established method in British competitions. I wouldn't be confident that it's used internationally.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:14 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:I wouldn't be confident that it's used internationally.
It is used internationally, referred to as the Berlin System.

Incidentally, I remember seeing at least one English competition being settled by reverse board count.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:12 am

Presumably on the basis of rewarding 'strength in depth' but a silly idea as it encourages 'cheating' by placing your better players on lower boards!

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:25 am

Michael Farthing wrote:Presumably on the basis of rewarding 'strength in depth' but a silly idea as it encourages 'cheating' by placing your better players on lower boards!
Presumably there will be other rules about strength order. Anyway, board count will only apply when there is a tie that hasn't been resolved elsewise. Arguably, reverse board count is as artificial as any other tie-break, not that I'm championing it.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:05 pm

Eh! I like that word 'elsewise'. I shall start using it.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Another system is bottom board elimination. Say a match is tied 3-3. Then eliminate the lowest board where there was a positive result. The result then decides who won.
Of course this favours the team that does better on the higher boards, as does board count.
Board count favours the team taking white on the odd boards.

Kevin Williamson

Post by Kevin Williamson » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:34 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Another system is bottom board elimination. Say a match is tied 3-3. Then eliminate the lowest board where there was a positive result. The result then decides who won.
Of course this favours the team that does better on the higher boards, as does board count.
Board count favours the team taking white on the odd boards.
Bottom board elimination is often the next tie-break if board count is level.

Board count adds to the excitement of a close match over many boards, such as a national stage County match, where captains need to know what results are needed in the remaining games. It’s best to start the count early in the match otherwise you need to trust your mental arithmetic under pressure. I’ve never known of a County match to be tied on points and on board count, and then decided on bottom board elimination but I guess it must have happened.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:55 pm

MSoszynski wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:I wouldn't be confident that it's used internationally.
It is used internationally, referred to as the Berlin System.
It is common in other sports as well.
For instance in cross country a team is typically 8 runners with the first 6 counting and the winning team being the one with the smallest sum of top 6 finishers.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Brian Towers wrote: For instance in cross country a team is typically 8 runners with the first 6 counting and the winning team being the one with the smallest sum of top 6 finishers.
True, but of course in this case it is the only way of determining the result, as opposed to its use in chess only as a tiebreak.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:13 am

thanks Roger, I hope curious people google and find your answer.