Page 1 of 1

Cartoon

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:37 pm
by Paul McKeown

Re: Cartoon

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:48 pm
by Reg Clucas
My wife would lose on time!

Re: Cartoon

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:15 am
by Dave Ewart
"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.

Re: Cartoon

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:31 am
by Clive Blackburn
I looked carefully but I couldn't see the Arbiter anywhere! :lol:

Re: Cartoon

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:52 am
by Brian Towers
Dave Ewart wrote:"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.
"Chess IM" is probably a better translation of the literal "Chess World Master".

Re: Cartoon

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:00 pm
by Ian Thompson
Brian Towers wrote:
Dave Ewart wrote:"Marital row with the Chess World Champion" is the translation of the caption, I think.
"Chess IM" is probably a better translation of the literal "Chess World Master".
I don't think so. Just do a Google search on "Schachweltmeister" and see whose names you get in the results.

Re: Cartoon

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:42 pm
by Paul McKeown
"Schachweltmeister" means chess world champion, nothing else.

Re: Cartoon

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:23 am
by Dave Ewart
I agree that the caption would probably have been funnier if it _had_ translated as "Arguing with a grandmaster" or something less specific than "world champion".

We are dissecting the joke. It is now officially not funny any more. :-D

Re: Cartoon

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:03 pm
by Brian Towers
Dave Ewart wrote:We are dissecting the joke. It is now officially not funny any more. :-D
Aha! Somebody with a German sense of humour!