Triple pawns bad?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Blower

Triple pawns bad?

Post by David Blower » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:57 am

Just wondering if I should have played cxb3 here? Well clearly I should have done, and in fact I did. My opponent resigned immediately after I played the move.

My real question is when have you had triple (or more) pawns.

MartinCarpenter

Re: Triple pawns bad?

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:04 am

They're 'routine' for white in various branches of the 4 f3 Nimzo (also elsewhere in the Nimzo) and Winaver/McCutcheon French. Often fairly effective too, even in their own right in a way - the 'front' pawn on c5 can be a real menace if it survives for any period of time.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:10 am

David Blower wrote: My real question is when have you had triple (or more) pawns.
There are some openings where you get them deliberately. One of them is a line of the Winawer French which can go 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e5 c5 5. dxc5 Bxc3 6. bxc3 . A similar idea can arise in the Nimzo Indian. When the tripled pawns arise in normal play, they are sometimes termed "the Irish pawn centre", a term coined by the late Tony Miles when annotating one of his games against an Irish player who had such a structure in an earlier round.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:09 am

If you have 7 pawns on the same file you cannot lose.

Why??

Cause it takes so many captures to get them that the opponent can only have his king left! haa

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:21 pm

In a rapidplay game at Lichfield CC last week, White had tripled pawns on e5, e6 and e7. It was impossible to figure out what was going on, especially as Black had doubled pawns on g3 and g4 and both kings (White's on g1 and Black's on c8) were somewhat exposed and most of the pieces were still on the board.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:36 pm

David Blower wrote:

Just wondering if I should have played cxb3 here? Well clearly I should have done, and in fact I did. My opponent resigned immediately after I played the move.

why did that guy give you his queen?

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:55 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:
David Blower wrote:

why did that guy give you his queen?
He blundered. Simple as that. The previous move was Black Queen was on e3, taking my bishop on b3.

Hence he resigned as I took the queen off the board. It took me 3 minutes to make the move, as I made sure there was no nasty traps or anything.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:11 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:If you have 7 pawns on the same file you cannot lose.

Why??

Cause it takes so many captures to get them that the opponent can only have his king left! haa
Don't think it can happen though - if my counting is correct it would take a minimum of 16 captures. And of course the pawn on the 8th rank would no longer be a pawn!

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:40 pm

read it in a bil hartson book. never checked it though. i would say it is possible

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:52 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:

Why??

Don't think it can happen though - if my counting is correct it would take a minimum of 16 captures. And of course the pawn on the 8th rank would no longer be a pawn!
Kevin O'Rourke wrote:read it in a bil hartson book. never checked it though. i would say it is possible
I say you could lose the game if you have 7 pawns on the same file. Why? Because there's no legal way of getting to such a position (as Reg says), so you could lose through having played an illegal move. :)

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:20 pm

if old bill says its possible then it must be

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:09 am

Reg Clucas wrote:

Why??

12 captures, no? And the seventh pawn remains a pawn on the eighth rank until you complete your move. And I guess you could still lose.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:32 am

Hartson said you cannot lose as the person will have only his king left.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:23 am

i think hartson would have looked at it carefully before printing it in his book :-)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:52 am

Alistair Campbell wrote: 12 captures, no? And the seventh pawn remains a pawn on the eighth rank until you complete your move. And I guess you could still lose.
Agreed. It seems a simple matter to construct a game where, once White completes his final capture on d8, he will be checkmated next move.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.