Scoresheet books

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Holowczak

Re: Scoresheet books

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:09 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Since I'm not competing in a FIDE-rated event anytime soon, I don't really see it as a problem. It'll do just fine for my local league matches and Congresses.
If your local league allows adjournments, are you going to put your whole scorebook in the sealed move envelope, assuming it will fit, or are you going to tear a page out of it?
That's a good thought. It shows that I've only played for that club once. :P Well, I suppose I could just fill out another scoresheet in the rare case that such a situation arises?

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:38 pm

I agree with Ben Purton.
:o :lol:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 pm

In the Berks league, we added rules a while back which permitted the continuation of the practice of writing the moves down before playing them and also the use of score-books.

It's always possible that an AGM could vote a stricter conformance to the Fide rules if anyone felt strongly enough about the issue to propose a rule change.

Ben's right though. In "serious" events like the London League, you should use the scoresheet during the game and transcribe it to the scorebook afterwards.

I don't know whether anyone in the UK has a privately owned Monroi. It's usually accepted that an organiser supplied Monroi is a "sheet". I'd think a privately owned one with past games in it would be a "book" and not therefore strictly legal.
(b) Recording Moves The recording of a move on a scoresheet or in a score
book , before the move is played, will not result in a loss. A scorebook must not be used as a
database of moves during the game

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: I don't know whether anyone in the UK has a privately owned Monroi.
At US$359 each, I very much doubt it.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 pm

They did sell those little ring binders for scoresheets years ago. Im sure John Saunders still does sell them or someone. Where by you just hole punch them in etc. This is good middle ground if you want to collect your games.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Ben Purton wrote:If it is legal, it shouldnt be

Actually I agree with this too - and have seen one or two disputes along these lines. Of course many would not complain but that doesn't mean they shouldn't. E.g. I usually use some kind of book to rest my score sheet on but I'd never use a chess book. It would just seem very odd - even though I wouldn't dream of opening it.

Veering off topic it sometimes surprises me what people don't complain about. I have, for example, seen one particular player make extensive notes during a game on several different occasions and only once get a raised eyebrow from his opponent - and even that one was after the game.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I don't know whether anyone in the UK has a privately owned Monroi. It's usually accepted that an organiser supplied Monroi is a "sheet". I'd think a privately owned one with past games in it would be a "book" and not therefore strictly legal.
I was wondering about that. Does anybody have a definitive answer?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:52 pm

David Welch's opinion was quoted in this entry in the Streatham blog

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... asure.html

Monroi Personal Chess Manager - Electronic Notation Device
It is my view that the Monroi system is a direct substitution for a scorebook, with the advantage that pages cannot accidentally be turned over during a game to reveal a previous game. The Monroi system is endorsed by FIDE and the Monroi devices are used at many prestigious international tournaments.
It is my recommendation that they should be permitted to be used in any event where scorebooks are allowed or where the controller does not need a paper copy of the game score. I would discourage arbiters from preventing a player using a Monroi device, however, it remains the Arbiter's right to request/insist that the official tournament scoresheets are used.
David Welch
English Chess Federation Chief Arbiter [31/1/08]

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:15 pm

In A thames valley league game

I was playing surbiton and it got to the time controlled position.... My opponent was 10 moves behind on scoring... I offered him my scoresheet. he declined. went to a board in the other room, set up the position and set up the position to work out the moves. I then offered him my scoresheet again. He declined , I then asked him to stop moving the pieces on the board. He declined.

I then told him I believe if he is suppose to be doing this it should be on the game board with me present. He then said "Stupid boy,Ive been in this league 45 years , I know the rules"

I then just laughed at him and walked off.

People cheat all the time.

People might think me drinking at the board and getting up every move is a form of psychological cheating. its not. Then i read somewhere that certain players disliked the smell of beer! I found this amusing in British chess because I dislike the smell of them!!!.

Ben
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
David Welch's opinion was quoted in this entry in the Streatham blog
Thanks for the reminder Roger :oops:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:33 pm

I spoke to the my club captain, and asked whether using scorebooks was allowed, and what would happen if someone caused a fuss. They're permitted, and if someone complains, then their complaint would get ignored.

A victory for common sense and decency. :D

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:42 pm

"A victory for common sense and decency."

And cheating!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Id have no issue with tearing one in half if I got ignored.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:36 pm

I can imagine
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:05 pm

Ben Purton wrote:They did sell those little ring binders for scoresheets years ago. Im sure John Saunders still does sell them or someone. Where by you just hole punch them in etc. This is good middle ground if you want to collect your games.

Ben
A rather obvious ida which I had not thought of. Thanks for the suggestion.

When using a score book I always ask my opponent for their permission. It has not yet been refused, but I would not be offended if it were.