Playing the prison

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin O'Rourke

Playing the prison

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:59 am

Be interested to hear some stories of playing prisoners in league matches. In Edinburgh we have the prison as one of the clubs in the league that we play. I never had the pleasure of playing an inmate due to either missing that game or them not being in the league I was currently in. Personally I think it’s a good idea for inmates to use their time playing no matter what their ability is. You may also get some prisoners that are very good players or can strive to become good players – ie plenty of study time!

Oh and naturally, they played all their games at home! :)

Matthew Turner

Re: Playing the prison

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:16 pm

I don't know any examples of chess teams, but the local rugby team played a match against prisoners. It all went very well.

Butleigh RUGBY CLUB

24 February 2014 ·

Butleigh V Portland Prison This Sunday 2nd March
11am Meet- we all have to go in together!

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:28 pm

would you accept a draw after 5 moves if you were up a pawn?

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:would you accept a draw after 5 moves if you were up a pawn?
Only against Claude Bloodgood
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Kevin O'Rourke

Post by Kevin O'Rourke » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:32 pm

see how hard the handshake is before the game.

Also careful not to talk about a bishop being locked out of the game or similar comments.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:07 pm

There is a book about, I think, CHESS IN PANKHURST PRISON

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:There is a book about, I think, CHESS IN PANKHURST PRISON
Suffragette chess?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:44 pm

How about CHESS IN PARKHURST PRISON?

That was the subject. But I don't know the title. The name of the prison in the Isle of Wight was changed a few years ago.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Kevin O'Rourke wrote:Be interested to hear some stories of playing prisoners in league matches. In Edinburgh we have the prison as one of the clubs in the league that we play.
I think this is a slight exaggeration - HMP Edinburgh has never played in the league as far as I know. It has hosted the occasional friendly match; I played there 20 odd years ago. Although I cannot remember the exact moves, we reached something like the following position, black (the prisoner) to play.

I remember anticipating with horror the possibility of my opponent playing the move he soon played. Not quite TWMOTB.

"That's disappointing" was his commendably understated reaction as I quickly reset the pieces. I was careful not to win the rematch quite so quickly...

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Wormwood Scrubs is said to have been capable of fielding a pretty fair team in the mid-1960s. I seem to remember a brief item about it at the time in Chess.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:04 am

Not a prison, but in the early 70s Richmond & Twickenham Chess Club played, I think, five matches against Broadmoor.

I played in three of those matches.

My first game was against this guy, whom I managed to beat.

In both my other matches I played, I believe, this guy, winning one game and drawing the other.

For more information about chess in Broadmoor, see a series of articles published just over five years ago on the S&B Chess Blog.

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:39 pm

I remember a couple of friendly matches at Norwich Prison in student days.

For one we had been forewarned that disgraced minister John Stonehouse would play, and we drew lots beforehand as to who would play him. For the other we had been asked to list our team a few days beforehand; we gave only initials, not forenames, and I think the warders were a bit taken aback that one of our team was a buxom young woman - playing her was popular with the opposition. And team orders were to be generous in offering cigarettes to one's opponent.

PB

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Re Stuart Rueben CHESS IN PARKHURST PRISON

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/phelan.html has full details about a felon's life including chess in Parkhurst.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:21 pm

So contrary to what the OP claimed, there is in fact no such prison team in the Edinburgh league?

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:07 pm

MJMcCready wrote:So contrary to what the OP claimed, there is in fact no such prison team in the Edinburgh league?
There is no such prison team currently in the Edinburgh league.

However, contrary to my earlier statement, my opponent in a league game last night assured me that the prison participated in the league in the 1970s (before my time) and he had played there for his school team.