Chess-themed quiz questions

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
LawrenceCooper

Re: Chess-themed quiz questions

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:16 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:39 pm
Tim Harding wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:34 pm

I haven't seen Igors in many years but we met on a few occasions (ICCF congresses) in the 1990s and my impression was that he was one of the good guys. Originally he was from Belarus but when he married the number one female correspondence player Olita Rause, from Latvia, he moved there and took her surname. I am indebted to him for a copy of the Soviet chess encyclopaedia that he gave me when the ICCF congress was held in Riga.

I don't look at Facebook because it's evil.
You appear to have got the quote tags rather wrong. Can you either correct them or remove the part quoting my name please?
Erm, Loz, if you check your post you also have the quoting screwed up.

To be fair to Tim (and you), there appears to be a bug in the quoting system whereby if there are more than 3 nested levels of quotes it auto "corrects" and screws up what you may have correctly done.

PS If you look at what I appear to have quoted it misses out the bit which was originally written by Christopher Kreuzer. I did originally have that, however the dodgy software just removed it!
I didn't think it my place to correct Tim's post when quoting it.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Sorry about my mistake. Let's just leave it.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 am

And back to the 'Chess-themed quiz questions'

I did an empty-handed search for Chris de Burgh so it does appear this has not been mentioned before.

What is the chess link between Chris de Burgh and David Bronstein?

the answer is:

https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-blog/t ... -burgh.394

And no. My street cred is still intact. I photo-shopped in the de Burgh CD - I do not own one.

My preference these days is Reggae (60's Reggae not Bob Marley - he's naff, there is no joy in his music).

When my daughter brings her friends round I can make her cringe by pronouncing it Reg Gay.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:09 pm

"And no. My street cred is still intact. I photo-shopped in the de Burgh CD - I do not own one."

They all say that!