Chess-themed quiz questions

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Chess-themed quiz questions

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:38 pm

I would certainly include 1948, if only because there was of course no incumbent WC at the time.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:43 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:50 pm

Yes. To include cases like that, you could phrase it as: "who are the four chess players who became world chess champion after failing to win the first match they contested for the title?" (I don't think that are any who contested two matches and failed to win the second time
Not quite sure what you mean there
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:59 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:43 pm
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:50 pm

Yes. To include cases like that, you could phrase it as: "who are the four chess players who became world chess champion after failing to win the first match they contested for the title?" (I don't think that are any who contested two matches and failed to win the second time
Not quite sure what you mean there
Challengers who contested a match for the World Chess Championships twice or more and lost every time. Not including those rematches where a former champion tried and failed to win. i.e. perpetual challengers who never managed to win.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Are you forgetting Viktor Korchnoi?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Mikhail Chigorin, Efim Bogoljubov and Veselin Topalov, as well. (I'm not sure about the status of David Janowski's matches, but he might be another addition to the list.)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:06 pm

As tirelessly reiterated by E G Winter, only the second of the Lasker-Janowski matches "counts".
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Gavin Hughes

Post by Gavin Hughes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:51 am

Here is a toughy:
According to the FIDE Country Top Federations, England rank in at a respectable 12 with 36 GM's and 62 IM's.

Question is can you name all 36 GMs? (no cheating)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Gavin Hughes wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:51 am
Question is can you name all 36 GMs? (no cheating)
Really, naming the IMs should be part of it as well...
And are these only the ones with an active FIDE rating?
Here is my attempt (against the clock, 5 mins, starting at 12:00, or 11:00 according to the forum clock):

[Turner and Gallagher are not ENG registered]

Adams
Short
[David] Howell
Jones
Sadler
McShane
Pert
Nunn
Arkell
Hebden
Parker
Fernandez
Gordon
Keene
Mestel
Hodgson
Plaskett
Conquest
Emms
King
Gormally
Summerscale

Hmm. Only 22 in 5 mins. Given longer, I might remember more.

[EDIT: Oh dear, I missed some very obvious ones!! I would have remembered those given 15 mins or so... Some I wouldn't have got even after thinking for longer. And it is 36 GMs even if the rating is not active.]
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Who is the lowest rated English player to appear in the top 100 of a FIDE rating list?

Reminder: The first official FIDE rating list appeared in July 1971.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:09 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:23 pm
Who is the lowest rated English player to appear in the top 100 of a FIDE rating list?

Ooh, difficult.

While thinking about it, will see how many of the 14 GMs I failed to get in the previous questions I can remember....

[Another previously ENG-registered GM (there are a few of these) is Davies, now WLS and Chandler, now NZL.]

Ward
Watson
Penrose
MacDonald
Speelman
Wells
Hawkins
Williams

Managed to forget James Howell, Flear, Haslinger, Stean, Levitt and Kumaran!

Of those 36 GMs, there are 12 that have inactive ratings (Hodgson, Haslinger, Kumuran, James Howell, Stean, Levitt, Mestel, Penrose, Sumerscale, Keene, Conquest, King). That number would be higher if not for the recent return of several players to participate in senior World and European events.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Are we supposed to trawl Olimpbase for the answer?

http://www.olimpbase.org/index.html?htt ... mmary.html

So maybe Peter Markland (2510) who tied for positions 63 to 76 on the list in July 1971?

http://www.olimpbase.org/Elo/Elo197107e.html

(By the next list the following year, he had dropped 90 rating points to 2420 and position 251: http://www.olimpbase.org/Elo/Elo197207e.html were some of the early calculations a bit hit-and-miss until enough data was present?)

EDIT: Hang on! A late entry: Raymond Keene at 2505, position joint 78 on the May 1974 list:

http://www.olimpbase.org/Elo/Elo197405e.html

And John Nunn at 2500 in the January 1979 list (joint 94th):

http://www.olimpbase.org/Elo/Elo197901e.html

[I give up!]

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:25 pm

You're getting close. Looking at the Olimpbase list of lists, as it were, ask yourself on which of those lists could you expect to find a sub-2300 player in the list?

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:34 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:12 pm
While looking at the live ratings site, I noticed that there may be a new contender for oldest player in the world top 100:

Igors Rausis, 57 years old, and currently rated 2651.

Is this his highest ever rating?
There has been a very recent Facebook thread about this player (started by Lawrence Trent) and his method of accumulating points by scoring heavily against low rated players. Emil Sutovsky is clearly very suspicious of his ability to score that heavily whilst others have expressed more balanced views.
[/quote]

I haven't seen Igors in many years but we met on a few occasions (ICCF congresses) in the 1990s and my impression was that he was one of the good guys. Originally he was from Belarus but when he married the number one female correspondence player Olita Rause, from Latvia, he moved there and took her surname. I am indebted to him for a copy of the Soviet chess encyclopaedia that he gave me when the ICCF congress was held in Riga.

I don't look at Facebook because it's evil.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:34 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
While looking at the live ratings site, I noticed that there may be a new contender for oldest player in the world top 100:

There has been a very recent Facebook thread about this player (started by Lawrence Trent) and his method of accumulating points by scoring heavily against low rated players. Emil Sutovsky is clearly very suspicious of his ability to score that heavily whilst others have expressed more balanced views.
I haven't seen Igors in many years but we met on a few occasions (ICCF congresses) in the 1990s and my impression was that he was one of the good guys. Originally he was from Belarus but when he married the number one female correspondence player Olita Rause, from Latvia, he moved there and took her surname. I am indebted to him for a copy of the Soviet chess encyclopaedia that he gave me when the ICCF congress was held in Riga.

[/quote]

You appear to have got the quote tags rather wrong. Can you either correct them or remove the part quoting my name please?

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:16 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:39 pm
Tim Harding wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:34 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:

You appear to have got the quote tags rather wrong. Can you either correct them or remove the part quoting my name please?
Erm, Loz, if you check your post you also have the quoting screwed up.

To be fair to Tim (and you), there appears to be a bug in the quoting system whereby if there are more than 3 nested levels of quotes it auto "corrects" and screws up what you may have correctly done.

PS If you look at what I appear to have quoted it misses out the bit which was originally written by Christopher Kreuzer. I did originally have that, however the dodgy software just removed it!

Here is the missing bit -
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:03 pm

If I paste this last bit in the right place creating 4 levels of indent and then preview it removes it and leaves you with what you see above.

Doubtless Carl will tell us it is a carefully designed feature rather than a bug ;-)
Last edited by Brian Towers on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.